Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Bolt hole distance mudguard stay 19291A?

Forums

Hi, I have purchased some mudguard stays for my Atlas which is being returned to a full mudguard after many years of a skinny fibreglass one so I don't have original parts with which to compare.

Can someone tell me what the correct distance is between the two bolt hole centres, bottom fork to mudguard?

I assume both front and back brackets should be the same.

I have to say I am very disappointed in the quality and inconsistency of the parts supplied by a well known Norton supplier near Birmingham.

The distance appears to be about 11&1/4" but a little bit more or less than this wouldn't surprise me.

Many thanks, John.

Over the years I have looked at a number of full chrome atlas/SS guards , this style of guard was fitted to bikes with capacities from 350cc to 750 cc with wide or narrow yokes and from Norton and AMC factories ,Stays and bridges are being ofered for sale and its a lottery to get things to fit .Some other AMC machines had guards which appear very similar too but may be drilled in different places. Might be easier to get the stays made (there are small concerns making stays) and drill to suit. I have some orriginal 1960 stays which fit the Valenced DL guard,I can measure these for you ,but these are narrow yokes and the guard may be different??. Basic material seems the same as used for grab handles. Some stays on offer appear to be smaller in diameter.

Hello John, I have just measured one of my Atlas stays and it sounds like you've got the correct ones. Hole centres = 11.25 inches ; Flat portion at fork leg end = 0.75 inches, hole dia = 11/32 inches; Flat part at mudguard end = 1.0 inch, hole dia =9/32 inches. Don't forget to fit the half-moon spacers at the mudguard end - it stops the guard edging from crushing. Good luck, Howard

I will cross my fingers for you!, front and rear stays are the same. It would be nice if someone with a PUKKA guard of Known provenance drew it up with special attention to hole centers ,width accross valences and depth of fork leg recesses as these probably all change with the switch to wider forks about 1963. Who knows!!.

I have a genuine Norton valanced (deep type) guard in bare metal for the narrow pre-1964 fork stanchions lying in my shed. (I think I should havethe shallow blade type for the 1963 88SS- but they seem to be very rare.)

My bike has (for historical reasons) the same type of deep guard but made for the wide stanchions. It has been 'modified' (botched) with deeper side indents to fit between my narrowstanchions.

The only difference seems to be in the depth of the side indented pressing to take the stanchions. Everything else seems to be identical.

Like a great many heavy twins pre-1964 that I have seen, it is well nigh impossible to fit the guard in such a way that it does not rub the paint off one side or other of the lower fork shrouds. Some bikes I have seen have recesses cut inside the lower edges to avoid this. I wonder if that was original at one time?

I'll take a tape measure and camera to the cold shed this evening.

Ihave not fitted front stays. They don't seem to be necessary with the deep type guard.

Regards

David

Many thanks guys, I await Davids measurements with interest. Then I will reassess whether to persevere with trying to make them all the same or simply drill some holes to suit when the mudguard appears to be in about as good a position as it is going to go. As inferred in one of the above messages this is all in aid of trying to make sure the mudguard doesn't rub on the fork sleeves.

Thank you.

John.

The front and rear holes are all 6 inches back from the tip of the guard (measured looking straight on sideways)

Each hole centre is 11/16" from the edge of the guard.

Stays both front and back are as others have said: 11 + 1/4"

Hope this helps.

Attachments 20161108_190307-jpg

It seems we are looking at different shape mudguards, my distance from the front of the guard to the holes is 4+3/4" and at the rear is 2+3/4". The width of the guard at the bridge is difficult to measure but is about 4.5". So all a little different to those in your pics. I think I will elongate the holes (make the distance nearer 11"and just get it all together so I can make sure the guard to fork tube clearance is OK for the fill fork length travel if possible.

Thanks anyway.

John.

With the increased scarcity of orriginal spares its inevitable that we will be trying to match up unsuitable parts. thats why an accurate set of measurements of guards before and after yoke changes would be so usefull. Ditto fork bridges ,stays etc. I do miss John Hudson!!.

I am sorry! Also baffled. The guard looks like the one on my bike - but you are right - the holes are in different places! The rear one on the guard on my bike is the same as others in my photos, books etc and is closer to the bottom back edge. Whereas the front ones look to be similar.

So now I don't knowwhatI have (and don't remember where it came from either). It is not from a Light Twin either. It has the distinctive V-pressing in the nose so I assume it was Norton.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans