Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

A bit of a dilemma. I have purchased a 1974 850 Commando do I ride it?

Forums

I have taken delivery of a 1974 Commando with 26 miles on the clock never registered in US or now UK. I have had it serviced and all important rubber components changed including the tyres (keeping the originals). Its ready to run but it's never been run in and in fine order. It's stored for the winter but I must decide it I ride it in the spring or go find a nice restored bike and pack my black beauty of to a museum! MG.

Hi Martyn, you are making me green with envy, but I can understand your dilemma. It would make a very interesting read to know the history of the bikeâ?was it one of those dozen or so found crated up somewhere in Belgium or somewhere like that about a year ago?

I guess ultimately it will boil down as to whether you want it for the investment or the sheer pleasure of riding a brand new 1974 bike. Personally I would ride it but perhaps just on dry warm days and look after it extremely carefully. Why let someone have that unrepeatable pleasure just because you want to make a few thousand quid profit in another ten years. What would the extra money buy you anyway? Ultimately you will go to your certain death never having that pleasure and thrill but just leaving the extra money in your will for someone else to spend. If the bike could speak I, m sure it would say âplease someone just start me up and let me motor along all those beautiful roadsâ?Iâm not worried about getting wrinklesâ Donât worry about museum visitors not seeing a brand new Norton Commando, a rebuilt one will look identical and for true motorcyclists it will in many ways be a very sad sight; like looking at a bird in cage or a wasted life in my opinion. Iâm sure you will ride itâ?you are just trying to make us all jealous. Take as many photos of it as you can before starting it and riding it though.

CU

Les

Previously wrote:

Hi Martyn, you are making me green with envy, but I can understand your dilemma. It would make a very interesting read to know the history of the bikeâ?was it one of those dozen or so found crated up somewhere in Belgium or somewhere like that about a year ago?

I guess ultimately it will boil down as to whether you want it for the investment or the sheer pleasure of riding a brand new 1974 bike. Personally I would ride it but perhaps just on dry warm days and look after it extremely carefully. Why let someone have that unrepeatable pleasure just because you want to make a few thousand quid profit in another ten years. What would the extra money buy you anyway? Ultimately you will go to your certain death never having that pleasure and thrill but just leaving the extra money in your will for someone else to spend. If the bike could speak I, m sure it would say âplease someone just start me up and let me motor along all those beautiful roadsâ?Iâm not worried about getting wrinklesâ Donât worry about museum visitors not seeing a brand new Norton Commando, a rebuilt one will look identical and for true motorcyclists it will in many ways be a very sad sight; like looking at a bird in cage or a wasted life in my opinion. Iâm sure you will ride itâ?you are just trying to make us all jealous. Take as many photos of it as you can before starting it and riding it though.

CU

Les

Hi Les,

I purchased the Bike from a friend in Massachusetts USA. The bike was imported to Flint Michigan 13th June 1974 then sold on unregistered to New England in 1995 ending up in a private collection. I have all winter to make up my mind but agree with many of your comments. I have contacted the club records team for any info from the UK end.

Regards Martyn.

Previously wrote:

I have taken delivery of a 1974 Commando with 26 miles on the clock never registered in US or now UK. I have had it serviced and all important rubber components changed including the tyres (keeping the originals). Its ready to run but it's never been run in and in fine order. It's stored for the winter but I must decide it I ride it in the spring or go find a nice restored bike and pack my black beauty of to a museum! MG.

RIDE IT! There are plenty of themmoulderingin museums. Motorcycles are too ugly to be works of art and only show their true worth when they are used.

Martyn Goddard previously wrote on Friday 26th November at 16.20hrs:

(then added later):

Hi Les,

I purchased the Bike from a friend in Massachusetts USA. The bike was imported to Flint Michigan 13th June 1974 then sold on unregistered to New England in 1995 ending up in a private collection. I have all winter to make up my mind but agree with many of your comments. I have contacted the club records team for any info from the UK end.

Regards MartynG

Hello Martyn,

We all know what we would do; but how you get on with an unusual situation like this depends a lot on what experience you have had with Nortons, or other British classic bikes.

If you've run a Commando before and have some basic workshop skills and facilities, using a machine like yours would be fascinating. Despite the fact that there will be teething troubles, you would be able to deal with them.

If it is your first British bike and you've never tightened a chain or changed a spark plug,then you'll need a good local support network and be prepared to get involved in the workshop.

A few people on this forum have given the impression that an older machine is somehow more delicate and should only be used gently. Well I can tell you that a properly maintained Norton twin can be used every bit as enthusiastically as when it was new. Just remember that it will need a lot of attention; but if you can spare the time to do that, it would be the most rewarding experience for any Norton enthusiast.

Before running any British bike which has been stored for a while, I ALWAYS check the inside of the oil tank for rust above the oil level (with most Nortons that means the whole of the tank!), even if the bike has been standing in someone's front room. Many bikes started up after a lay-up have wrecked their bottom ends a few days later, through rust being washed into the oilways. One of those mini torches and a small mirror with a telescopic handle are all you'll need. Or get someone else to check for you. Just rubbing your finger around the inside of the tank would give you some idea.

I hope you keep it and use it. Next May you should have the exhaust down pipes a nice bluey-bronze colour. If I see it in a museum, I'd barely give it a second glance!

Paul

Previously wrote:

Martyn Goddard previously wrote on Friday 26th November at 16.20hrs:

(then added later):

Hi Les,

Regards MartynG

Hello Martyn,

We all know what we would do; but how you get on with an unusual situation like this depends a lot on what experience you have had with Nortons, or other British classic bikes.

If you've run a Commando before and have some basic workshop skills and facilities, using a machine like yours would be fascinating. Despite the fact that there will be teething troubles, you would be able to deal with them.

If it is your first British bike and you've never tightened a chain or changed a spark plug,then you'll need a good local support network and be prepared to get involved in the workshop.

A few people on this forum have given the impression that an older machine is somehow more delicate and should only be used gently. Well I can tell you that a properly maintained Norton twin can be used every bit as enthusiastically as when it was new. Just remember that it will need a lot of attention; but if you can spare the time to do that, it would be the most rewarding experience for any Norton enthusiast.

Before running any British bike which has been stored for a while, I ALWAYS check the inside of the oil tank for rust above the oil level (with most Nortons that means the whole of the tank!), even if the bike has been standing in someone's front room. Many bikes started up after a lay-up have wrecked their bottom ends a few days later, through rust being washed into the oilways. One of those mini torches and a small mirror with a telescopic handle are all you'll need. Or get someone else to check for you. Just rubbing your finger around the inside of the tank would give you some idea.

I hope you keep it and use it. Next May you should have the exhaust down pipes a nice bluey-bronze colour. If I see it in a museum, I'd barely give it a second glance!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Good advice, I haven't owned a British bike in the past,but do own a 1965 Austin Healey so can do the odd repair. I had the bike well serviced and checked out in the US by a very expert restored who replaced seals ect and test rode for 20 miles. The opinion is pro riding and it's fun reading the comments. I will be featuring the bike in Octane Magazine where it's import is featured in issue 91 the current issue. Best Martyn G..

Don't you just love the crystal clear views and sentiment of everyone who has responded!! My view? You're a long time dead....RIDE IT!!

Previously wrote:

hi martin, if it was me and the bikes really as good as you say i would put it in the front room mounted on a plyth with its own drip trayso you can sit on it while watching top gear etc.if the wife and kids object they have to go . she wont want the norton in the divorce settlement and a 40 something with an immaculate norton is still a good catch.

regards eddie

Previously wrote:

hello Well Martyn there's your answer you are only alive once and money is ascommon as muck ? So get out on your black beauty and lissen to her taking too you when you are out riding and get know her well, All Norton have there difference, That's because there hand built by real men ? I know you willfall in love with your black beauty when you get out thereon the open road on a nice Sunny Day ? so go live and ride your heart out ? Happy New Year ? Your Anna J Dixon

Ride it, it was never intended to be a trailer queen.

MF

Previously wrote:

CU

Les

Previously wrote:

Hi Martyn, Get youre bike ready for the summer and RIDE IT!! You only live once!

Ken Routledge

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans