Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

99 finished at last (1960)

Forums

Hi folks, my 1960 99 is finished at last, the headlamp shell and front mudguard took the most finding.

The colour was blue when I bought the bike in a rough state in 2010 from the Roadholder ads. However, NOC records confirmed that the bike left the factory in Black and Dove Grey. The Dove Grey is RAL 1013 and I had the mudguards powder coated. I would have had the rear shock shrouds powder coated in 1013 too had I known this was possible when putting the rolling chassis together!

I have only ran the engine for a total of around 30 mins but so far I find the engine the sweetest Norton twin I ever did see. Smooth, mechanically quiet and no smoke! The barrel is powder coated and newGMPrings are used on the original pistons. The bore is standard with a little wear and this I thought would compensatefor the non standard rings. We shall see but I'm keeping it in mind what has been said!

Carb is a new Mk 1 928 I already had, jetted to 250 main and 3 1/2 slide. Fuel: BP Ultimate (E0) of course. Boyer electronic ignition and Boyer powerbox and 12Vgel battery. New shells but the main bearings were checked and so good they went back in.

Thanks to all those who helped me get through this. Now to find out what is rumbling in the 650ss engine?

Congratulations Neil. Yesterday I had my 1961Dommie 88 MOT@d and today it was changed to a Historic Vehicle taxation class at my local Post Office and taxed. It has been subject to a full rebuild. Nothing very unusual I agree.............except that I bought the bike on the 4th September 1982!!!!!!!

In all of that time it has lived in around 9 garagges, been located in 5 or 6 different places in England, BUT it fired for the first time in all those years a couple of weeks ago, and now it is finished and ready for the road. I can't post pictures of it on here due to the very small limit on photographs imposed by this message board format.

So the question now presents itself............what the hell will I do in my garage in the evenings? I feel another bike will be needed. perhaps a fourth Norton?

Nice job, I thought I would go for the flatish Norton straights too, But soon found the angle of the levers caused an RSI type of strain . so I have gone back to the low rise standard bars, Much lighter clutch action and more effective brake. Nice to see a decent line on the header pipes.

Thanks Robert, tank is temporary and painted with aerosols with badges that need re chroming. I have new badges and the original tank will be professionally finished.

I thought about putting handlebar risers on this one like I have with some others but that affects the look and I have tried to make it look original as much as possible. The clutch is heavy but the riding position is still much better than clipons.

The pipes and silencers came from RGM, made in Wolverhampton and of excellent quality, as too the seat from Leighton's in Birmingham.

Hi Niel, What bar risers have you used and did you find any with fixings that match the existing threads ,I have not been able to determine what they are.RGM supplied me with a set of siamese pipes that were a very poor fit ,so I lost confidence in them. I also prefer the look of the cigar type silencers that were fitted on the 60 bikes.Leighton's supplied me with a first class cover that was a perfect match to the orriginal checkered one. I have heard that they don't stock this anymore,don't know if this is true.I could have helped you out with a shell!!.Your front mudguard stay looks about 5mm too short but only on the offside, I'm having similar problems with my Atlas mudguard so don't think me as a nit picker!.The tank you are showing appears to be from a later AMC produced bike ?.I also like the orrig brake switch ,too often bodged up with bits from something else.The throttle cable did not have a mid adjuster and I would not be happy with that flappy position, Oh god I am a nit picker!.

Congrats Neil,Hurry up with the 650SS, I need the pictures to help with my restro! (You can do all this but can't resize a .JPG??)

Thanks Gents, Not nit picking at all, just honest observations, nothing wrong with that. The 650 might be a bigger issue that I first thought, if only you could see what I found in the oil tank. (Not there when I put it on)

The handlebar risers are home made and I don't think available off the shelf. I'll see if I can send you a picture. I have used them on a couple of bikes so tried and tested. I'd be glad to swap Robert a pair of risers for a headlampshell for the 57 pre f/bed Model 50. I believe the engine plates are not too far off now, fingers crossed.

Might be a while on the 650 yet and the wait goes on for my registration document from Swansea!

BTW, Robert, The original tank is currently filled with apple and cider vinigar. I'm going to have it professionally finished.

I probably should have said that it has a 28mm Mk 1 Amal, 12V, Boyer electrinic mag replacement with a Boyer power box. Wheels and spokes are stainless from Hagon and tyres are modern Avons. Spark plus are Champion N5c, of course! Petrol: BP Ultimate (E0)

After an age of trying to contact the DVLA on the phone I finally spoke to someone, after waiting for 6 weeks for my V5c etc. Turns out my bundle never arrived, so much to first class post but am I glad I sent photo copies of my log book and last tax disc!

I sent my insurance cert and MOT but they should be available to the DVLA on line. Off to the bank to see if my V55£55 chequehas not been cashed. Will I get my ride before the big freeze? I need to print more photo's too.

OK Robert, you wanted handlebar risers and I want a headlamp shell for the pre f/bed model 50.

Here are the ones on my ES2:

Attachments risers-1-png

Those bar risers look just like the ones on E-BAY, very professional. FINISHED??, I never truly finish anything to do with bikes,just have to have something to keep the interest going. Thinking about a new clutch center,A gen one is way too expensive.

Gents. I am also interested in bar risers. I have just fitted straight bars to my 650 Wideline special, but, as you have said, the levers are very flat. The problem appears to be one of cable routing. Even with the levers flat, the cables are forced up very slightly to pass over the fork top nuts. I tried angling the levers down, and running the cables below the top yoke; it has a Atlas-type headlamp assembly; but that doesn't work. Are these the ebay ones you mention?

30mm is too high. I could do with just 15-20mm, using the standard top bar clamps. Any ideas?

Cheers. Ian

Previously ian_cordes wrote:

Gents. I am also interested in bar risers. I have just fitted straight bars to my 650 Wideline special, but, as you have said, the levers are very flat. The problem appears to be one of cable routing. Even with the levers flat, the cables are forced up very slightly to pass over the fork top nuts. I tried angling the levers down, and running the cables below the top yoke; it has a Atlas-type headlamp assembly; but that doesn't work. Are these the ebay ones you mention?

30mm is too high. I could do with just 15-20mm, using the standard top bar clamps. Any ideas?

Cheers. Ian

Hi Ian, I have been looking at risers for some time. ,I think 20 mm will not be enough, Risers on E_Bay will work but the socket screws will need to be the right thread and may need to be sourced elsewhere. BoB.

Bob. I pinged off a question to the seller, to check the hole spacings, and also asked whether a) they do lower ones; (probably not) b) if they supply other than metric screws. I am waiting to hear back. Mine are 5/16" x22tpi bsf, 17mm thread length, so would need 47mm to suit. I am waiting to hear back.

The reason I would like lower ones is that even 20mm rise would improve the cable run, whilst not looking so obviously non standard as the higher ones would do. In theory one could cut down the 30mm ones, but with hand tools, it may not be too pretty! Ian

Gents, these were not bought off the net, they were made to suit the f/bed top yoke. There are no threads in them either, you just need longer screws.

I think they are just the right height for a comfortable ride with flat bars but chosenot to put them on my 99 for the sake of the original look.

I recently tried flat bars on the 99, The angle made the clutch heavy and the brake less effective, I worked out that 25-30 mm rise would be needed.The risers on E Bay are suitable and are slotted to fit,some are fragmented to allow height adjustment,In the end I re-fitted my old Low rise std bars as we have a few back/neck injuries and one cafe racer is enough.Bolts will need to be sourced to match our threads.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans