Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

961 debate

If the 961 debate carries on let me know how I can cancel my membership I am fed up with all the sh~t being put out there. Remember you don't have to be a member to see your comments they are broadcast all over the world on google over the net. I am serious I need to know how to leave the club.

We are all used to the asinine rubbish which certain members contribute and find it very trying. Stick with the NOC there really are a lot of nice people in it.

Having said that to a neutral observer there have been legitimate questions raised about how the current management have run Nortons and in particular about quality control and service. If you think that they should be above legitimate criticism from other 961 owners, then ask yourself whether that helps you or future owners.

Hello Charles. i was considering a 961 but hearing all the negative vibes surrounding them its put me off. it must put other people off to. i think i will move on. Baz

Barry, if the negative 961 comments (I assume by owners) have put you off owning one then the site has served its purpose. Hopefully Mr Garner will take note and sort out the problems and you might reconsider. Have you written to him of your concerns?

Charles, who are you to say what is rubbish and what is not? We don't have to read every thread but now when things go off topic we have a place for that. (Off Topic) If you don't like where it's going; start a new oil thread.

I don't want to see the NOC go down the route of censorship and gagging like the current VMCC regime. Just look at the June correspondence in the journal, the editor has put a stop to any topic that might bring about criticism, not a good read anymore and not much to read anyway in that section!

I hope you stay Barry and have your say, failure is when you give up. But if you are determined to leave then just let your membership laps, or am I missing something?

Hi Baz

The views of the few do not reflect those of the majority. We have a good relationship with the factory who generously provide us with a meeting room for our AGM and Committee meetings. The Club awards a trophy to the best 961 at our norton Festval and at our National Rally and more 961 owners are participating as each event goes by.

Members long serving in the Club will know that the rotaries were treated with disdain by some when introduced and you can still find members who will argue that true Norton's finished with the AMC takeover.

There must be some room for criticism of 961's on our forum but that should be the preserve of owners seeking solutions to their problems. The NOC view is that the 961 and their owners are valued addition to a proud tradition and our membership.

Tim

Previously barry_carson wrote:

If the 961 debate carries on let me know how I can cancel my membership I am fed up with all the sh~t being put out there. Remember you don't have to be a member to see your comments they are broadcast all over the world on google over the net. I am serious I need to know how to leave the club.

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Barry, if the negative 961 comments (I assume by owners) have put you off owning one then the site has served its purpose. Hopefully Mr Garner will take note and sort out the problems and you might reconsider. Have you written to him of your concerns?

Charles, who are you to say what is rubbish and what is not? We don't have to read every thread but now when things go off topic we have a place for that. (Off Topic) If you don't like where it's going; start a new oil thread.

I don't want to see the NOC go down the route of censorship and gagging like the current VMCC regime. Just look at the June correspondence in the journal, the editor has put a stop to any topic that might bring about criticism, not a good read anymore and not much to read anyway in that section!

I hope you stay Barry and have your say, failure is when you give up. But if you are determined to leave then just let your membership laps, or am I missing something?

I, like anyone else, make judgments about what I read. On the range of topics on which I have professional knowledge, I try to make constructive comment.

If you do not get irritated by the frankly offensive attitude of certain people, then you are more tolerant that I and a candidate for sainthood.

We should not censor contributions except when harm to the club may ensue or the law of the land may be broken.

Barry, I have been a NOC member for 40 years. There are many and varied opinions available among the members of each and every aspect of each and every Norton ever made.

Do not leave us simply because some odd individual seema to take great pleasure in slagging off the 961 and the company an its owner.

The way forward is to rise above their paticular bigoted view and to make positive contributions to any debate about Nortons, new and old. I believe that the membership of this great club is really one big Norton family, and like any large family you may get a black sheep or two.

Barry if you fancy a 961 then franklyI can only offer youone simple piece of advice.............GO AND BUY ONE. Do not be dtered by those who will never move on and who will never put their money up for a new bike from a British manufacturer. Oh yes and when you get it be sure to take pictures and let us all know what it is like. that is a much better reaction than your possible negative one.

Hope this helps, after all most of us just love our motorbikes in general and Nortons in particular.

I do not quote names. I have been a member for four or five Years I think. I quite fancy a 961 and have booked a tour and test ride. I can JUST scrape the money together without selling my Interstate.

One of the 'knockers' of late (of the resurgent Norton) wrote in in Oct 1011.'Hello To all Norton owners The 961 Commando is The Best Built Machine under the name of Norton , and the Engineering is superb And well Engineered motorcyle , And worth every penny that you pay for one . Its like buying a Manx Norton and just as special and it will retain its value for a very long time and the value of these machine may even go up is price , the Owners that have got there New 961 Commados Will be very proud in owning one , And If you Have Not thought of buying one yet , then go and Have a Visit to The Norton Factory first and see for your self at first hand , And I know that you will what to own one. There A worth wile investment , The Future Can only get brighter For Norton Motorcycles. There Built with the light of experience .'

Barry- Stay wwith it 'owd Blade

Potential 961 owners.

Do not be put off owning a 961 by the miss-informed drivel posted by a certain member. Quote 'crankshaft and bearings are made in China' -wrong.

'Norton do not have a rolling road / Dyno'. Wrong. All new bikes are tested on one before dispatch.

Like many Norton owners I have a 'bit of a collection', but my 961 has the most grin factor. I recently went to the brilliantly organised NOC Slate Rally in North Wales (thanks everyone for that) riding my 961 SF around Snowdon on a sunny day could not get better.

My 961 had a few issues when new, but Norton sorted them out. I'm almost ashamed to admit I like it so much I am about to take delivery of a second one, built to order with a painted Domi alloy tank and union flag tail end, and some other bits to add on.

Go and have a test ride, you won't be disappointed!

Roger.

Hurrah, I concur with Gordon.At last a view based upon ownership, not some anti-Norton Motots/Stuart Garner viewpoint, combined with wanting to live in the past.

Thanks for the real opinion Roger

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans