Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS noise

Forums

This cam follower piston slap noise sounds worse in real life as it were,most annoyingdoes anyone have an opinion, rgds David

Hello David - Sometimes the rattle at tickover on the early 650's and Atlas's sounds worse because the top-end tends to run drier at low revs. Take the top off the oil tank and while it's ticking over put your forefinger over the output hole near the top of the return tube. Keep it covered for a little while and listen carefully to see if the rattle diminishes as more oil is fed to the top. If it does so it's a sign that at low revs your engine's top-end is retaining the oil in the head and not flooding the camfollowers. Later engines used a high pressure feed from the big-ends to oil the top-end but these require the fitment of plain rocker shafts and sometimes new rockers otherwise too much oil is provided causing other problems. I suspect from listening to your donk that at a few thousand revs all will be good. A straight oil SAE 40 or even 50 can also keep the rattles down. All the quick ones rattle !! regards, Howard

Previously howard_robinson wrote:

Hello David - Sometimes the rattle at tickover on the early 650's and Atlas's sounds worse because the top-end tends to run drier at low revs. Take the top off the oil tank and while it's ticking over put your forefinger over the output hole near the top of the return tube. Keep it covered for a little while and listen carefully to see if the rattle diminishes as more oil is fed to the top. If it does so it's a sign that at low revs your engine's top-end is retaining the oil in the head and not flooding the camfollowers. Later engines used a high pressure feed from the big-ends to oil the top-end but these require the fitment of plain rocker shafts and sometimes new rockers otherwise too much oil is provided causing other problems. I suspect from listening to your donk that at a few thousand revs all will be good. A straight oil SAE 40 or even 50 can also keep the rattles down. All the quick ones rattle !! regards, Howard

Thanks Howard I will try that tommorow

Previously david_stromaine wrote:

This cam follower piston slap noise sounds worse in real life as it were,most annoyingdoes anyone have an opinion, rgds David

Hello you 650 sound about normal too me they all have this top end clicking noise on tick over at lest you have good tape clearance try the finger test over the return oil flow in the oil tank and rev the engine a little you should feel some pressure there trying to push your finger of the oil over flow sometime the rocket spindle holes get ovel and you get a small amount of movement the the rocket spindles so the you get a clicking noise , yours anna j

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Hello you 650 sound about normal too me they all have this top end clicking noise on tick over at lest you have good tape clearance try the finger test over the return oil flow in the oil tank and rev the engine a little you should feel some pressure there trying to push your finger of the oil over flow sometime the rocket spindle holes get ovel and you get a small amount of movement the the rocket spindles so the you get a clicking noise , yours anna j

Sound good to me, try mine after a good run. (Just as noisy after running for a minute)

Attachments norton-mp3

Hello having yet again listened to your clip its sounds more like the piston hitting the Cylinder head or piston Slap depends on what pistons are in , has GPM are on the heavy side and sound just like this running cold then they do get quieter has the engine get hot, but it looks like you need to take the top end off and see whats going on yours Anna J

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans