Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS inlet valve size

Forums

Hope someone can help with this one.

I am presently rebuilding a (registerd as) 1965 6500SS. All coming along nicely until I started rebuilding the head. I got a head rebuilding kit from RGM and it wasnt long before it became apparent that the supplied inlet valves weren`t big enough. Those that are installed are 1-1/2" (38mm) and the supplied parts are, as expected, the standard 35.7mm.

Im beginning to wonder if the head is from a later model. The head has 30mm inlet ports, which I believe were correct for the later (1967-68?) models with concentrics, but does anyone know if the later 650SS was fitted with the 38mm atlas type valves as standard. Im sure I read this somewhere online, but cant remember where!

I must say that the inlet valve seats are bronze which may be non-standard (?)- so its possible that it may have been converted at some point.

Any help / advice gratefully reeived.

Trevor

Sounds a bit like somebody has previously modified this head to take larger inlet valves.

The correct valve heads should be 1.406". The 750 heads used 1.50".

There were 4 versions of head used on the 650 engine but all had the same size inlet and exhaust valve heads. The only differences coming after engine 114870 when the rockers became narrower and after 1966 and engine 125871 when the barrel spigots disappeared, the pushrods were shortened and the valve stems were lengthened by about 0.10".

Even the Mercury heads, which are actually Commando castings (060380), used the same 1.406" inlet valves.

Thanks Phl,I thought that may be the case. The only problem I have now is trying to work out what valves I need to use. I think they are probably from an Atlas, but not certain.

The other worry is whether or not the valves may foul each other -could be expensive.

when I bought the bike it was running OK but noticabley a bit gutless. I hope that this wasnt the result of someone tweaking the valve timing to get the clearance!

I've got a 650 head with almost the same 'problem'. Bigger valves and bronze valve seats. I thought that the 1.500" inlet valves were correct as that is what is quoted in the Haynes manual; obviously another technical error to add to the list. One of the exhaust seats is also bronze but I plan to have both replaced with hardened seats when funds permit.

Does anybody have any experience with bronze seats for road use or should I have all 4 replaced?

Cheers

Attachments img_2030-jpg

Hi

I agree with the thought that the head has been modified the bronze valve seats are non standard ... well from my experience and Les Emery at Norvil all post war twins had hard valve seats not cast iron like Triumphs. My valve seat cutting tools wont touch Norton seats but quite happily chew away at cast iron ones.

I would think they would probably be the biggest that would fit as the edges must be perilously close to the side of the bore if the block has spigotliners projecting above the block face, have they been relieved ? if you do go for replacement big valves check the clearance as it would be a shame to ruin all your good work first time you start it, Fit the head to the block off the rest of the engine without the pistons and a cardboard gasket of the same thickness as a compressed one. Try the valves in the guides with no springs and checkthe clearances. Also don't forget the pistons have a recess that might need making bigger as the valves are still closing at some top dead centrepositions on the suck and blow parts of the 4 stroke cycle.

Gromit

Hi James

I got the bike from someone I know well and he got the bike from someone he knows very well - the bike has been living in Norfolk for most of its life and I know that he engine has done a lot of miles on the bronze seats which are looking very good...it will only require alight grind to get the new valves seated, althoughthese are only on the inlets.The exhausts take a bit more punishment I suppose.

Im glad to hear that Im not the only one with this type of modification. Hopefully it means that theres no problem with the larger valves clashing....unless someone knows different of course??

Hi John,

Yes, you`re right, the edges of the valves are very close to the edge of the bore - and I do have spigotted barrels. The engine has been run like thisfor quite a while before Iaquired it nad there no sign of the valves fouling the spiggot although I will take your advise and releive them a tough in these areas.. I have however had a rebore and new pistons, so Id best check the pocket clearances - blue tack to the rescue.

Hi Trevor,

You can see on the photo that I included, that there is a stamping RTS 126 which I assume was done by whoever modified the head. Does yours have a similar stamp and does anybody know who carried out the work?

Cheers

Previously james_brierley wrote:

Hi Trevor,

You can see on the photo that I included, that there is a stamping RTS 126 which I assume was done by whoever modified the head. Does yours have a similar stamp and does anybody know who carried out the work?

Cheers

Hi Phil,

Just popped out to the garage to have a look.

Nothing on mine Im afraid. Looks like a good job though. It looks like the ports have been cleaned up and polished

trevor

I've got a 650 head with almost the same 'problem'. Bigger valves and bronze valve seats. I thought that the 1.500" inlet valves were correct as that is what is quoted in the Haynes manual; obviously another technical error to add to the list. One of the exhaust seats is also bronze but I plan to have both replaced with hardened seats when funds permit.

Does anybody have any experience with bronze seats for road use or should I have all 4 replaced?

Cheers

That photo looks just like my Atlas head with 3/8" head bolts and it looks nothing like my 650 head. Now I have to investigate what parts I have and what modifications.

Previously Jonathan Soons wrote:

Cheers

That photo looks just like my Atlas head with 3/8" head bolts and it looks nothing like my 650 head. Now I have to investigate what parts I have and what modifications.

The easy way to spot an early spigoted 650 head are the concentric spigot recesses around the combustion chamber. The Atlas recesses are eccentric to take into account the cylinder bores being moved rearwards relative to the combustion chambers.

Have checked out valve and pushrodlengths and it seems that someone has opened the inlets up and fitted commando valves and pushrods. The overall net result of this is that there is no overall difference in that the commando valves are slightly longer and the pushrods slightly shorter. It will however result in the rockers canting slightly (by about 0.080"). Hopefully this wont be too much of a problem. The alternative would be to fit atlas valves and new (longer 650) pushrods. All would then come right - I think!

Anyone know if this will work OK?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans