Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS Frame never registered in the UK

Hi,

This is my 650SS frame, I have attached a photo, to show what it was like before someone, powder coated it a finish i personally dislike, as I do black frames!

The frame i have been told was exported from the Norton factory to a Dealer in Hanover in 1962! it has never been registered in the UK!

At some date because of valuation and the obsession with matching Do Da's, someone has attempted to make the frame look as though it belonged to a 99 and attempted to sell an engine stamped it in the wrong place, with the 650SS frame number and the frames 18 has been obscured and a 14 over stamped in that area, there is also a horizontal 1 present for some reason!

The frame has the double brackets at the front engine mounts as can be seen and the number matches existing records for a 650SS model. Obviously if possible i would like an age related plate as the frame is a genuine 1962 product, is this possible, i ask?

I purchased it and it was only after I had paid, that the seller then admitted it had never been registered in the UK!

Cheers

John

Footnote; I meant the whole motorcycle had been exported to a dealers in Hanover, Germany!

Attachments screenshot-at-2017-08-12-09-01-49-png

Yes it's possible, it's all explained on the . Gov website, ill copy a link in a mo.

Dan

its here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/reconstructed-classic-vehicles

and it says

10. Reconstructed classic vehicles Your vehicle must comply with the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.

How to register

You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle. You must include the following with your application: written report from the appropriate vehicle ownersâ club form V627/1 - âBuilt up vehicle inspection reportâ evidence of type approval, if necessary official receipts for any parts used

Get an age-related registration number

DVLA can only recognise your vehicle as a reconstructed classic vehicle if it meets certain criteria. It must be: built from genuine period components from more than one vehicle, all over 25 years old and of the same specification as the original vehicle a true reflection of the marque The appropriate vehicle ownersâ club for the vehicle type (âmarqueâ) must inspect the vehicle and confirm in writing that it: has been inspected is a true reflection of the marque is comprised of genuine period components all over 25 years old They must also give manufacture dates for the major components.

DVLA will assign an age-related registration number to the vehicle based on the youngest component used.

New or replica parts

Your vehicle wonât get an age-related registration number if it includes new or replica parts.

DVLA will give your vehicle a âQâ prefix registration number. Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a âQâ prefix registration number. Vehicles with a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) must never reappear as complete vehicles or be presented for registration, though some components may be recycled. You canât keep the original registration or vehicle identification number.

If the NOC dating will give you a dating cert based on whats there now you are 1/3 way there but you have to try first, then you have to get NOVA sorted out which may not be too bad to get as Hanover is in the EU so no VAT or duties to pay until 2019 but you may need a bill of sale. Then you can apply for a V5, you have to hope you are not selected for the random DVLA inspections of the stamps and they go straight to a V5, the random checks are becoming very frequent.

Nothing to fear from the DVLA inspection so long as it's all legit, if you treat it as a rebuild rather than an import I doubt a Nova will be needed as it's only the frame? ... so long as all the other bits are from the uk, of course. Shame the VROs have all closed it's the sort of thing you could phone up and ask.

Dan

Dan, John,

Thank you for the information, as soon as it is near completion i will attempt to register the Motorcycle here in the UK!

Cheers

John

Good luck and remember to keep all the receipts and take lists of photos. If you intend to fit anything major new, register it first. It's best to make sure that usnderstand the rules before you start! The DVLA website is pretty helpful.

with the 650SS frame number and the frames 18 has been obscured and a 14 over stamped in that area, there is also a horizontal 1 present for some reason!

That bit is the concern and why you do not want a DVLA inspection as the original numbers are not clear. You may need to get a backup letter to the dating cert from the NOC saying why they consider the 650SS number as being the correct and proper stamp for dating, if the letter is seperate then you only need it for an inspection.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans