Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1975 Mk.2A Interstate master cylinder.

Forums
Greetings, I am hoping to replace my Interstate's standard handlebars, which have a slight rise, with a pair of straight flat 'bars. The problem is that the factory front brake's master cylinder's angled exit hose connection hits the upper fork yoke. I therefore need to replace the factory master cylinder with one which has a straight hose exit. I was considering the use of a Triumph Trident cylinder, but these are available only with chrome levers, not alloy as on my Norton. Might anyone know of such a cylinder which has a straight hose exit and an alloy lever, which I may use instead? Also, were I to consider the Lockheed racing front disk conversion kit, with the floating brake disk, might this kit come with such a master cylinder, as described above? With thanks and kind regards,

"Dr. Zip".

>>>--->

If your wallet will stand it, a production race master cylinder will do what you want; however, you will need a hose with a banjo fitment at the master cylinder end.

If not, consider a master cylinder from a 70s/80s UJM -- very robust, available cheaply on eBay, don't look blatantly anachronistic.

A photo of my set-up is attached; note that handlebar risers are used. You can just see the connection to the calliper at the centre of the photo's bottom edge.

Attachments handlebar-3-small-jpg

p.s. Don't ask me what the master cylinder is off, or what it cost; a friend found it lurking at the back of a shelf where it had been sitting for at least 20 years.

p.p.s. It is has a 5/8" bore (according to the very large cast-in legend). If you do not mind a less period look, master cylinders from the GPz500 have 1/2" bores, and if you take care to buy one from a later model it will have a lever with adjustable reach.

I haven't yet tried the one I bought because the outlet is on the front, such that the banjo bolt would face forwards, and with the lever as far inboard as I have it currently the outlet is immediately above the fork top nut (another photo attached).

Attachments handlebar-4-small-jpg

Hi,

I use this one with flat bars. There is plenty of clearance and you retain your standard switch gear.

http://www.tritonmotorcycleparts.com/297620485/product/515646/norton-brakes?catid=146825

Don't be put off by the source being the Philippines, the guy is Australian and the parts are modified (to mate with the switch gear) Japanese OEM. The bore is 13mm so results in improved brakes.

Customer service is excellent e.g. ordered some parts 7.00pm last Saturday, delivered 11.00 am Thursday to UK.

'Madass' is well known and respected on the Access Norton site.

Regards,

Graham

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans