Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1972 disc brake

Forums

Hi guys,

just got a 1972 commando, the front disk brake as expected does not quite work (as well as the back drum brake...).

I do not want to change the aesthetics of the bike, would ideally like to improve the original parts, or fit enhancements that were used at the time. But nothing new, and nothing that did not use to be fitted on commandos back then.

I think I've understood the best option to get to some improvement is to get the master cilinder sleeved (like they do at RGM) bringing the bore down to 13mm.

a) do you guysrecommendthis/or other solutions?

b) does it really improve the brake?

c) what else should I do if I want the bike to brake, while keeping a 1972 look?

d) does making holes in the rotor improve anything? http://www.oldbritts.com/14_061885.html

e) any other suggestions?

f) any suggestions for the back brake?

please give me some advice as for the time being I am riding brake-less...

thanks

Enrico

The sleeved down master cylinder will improve things quite nicely but the limiting factor is the front caliper. The pads are just too small. Again a braided brake pipe may give some small imrovement but you are now straying away from originality.

I too have just acquired a 1972 Commando so I am interested in this as well. In contrast my bike has been fitted with a German (argh!) Magura master cylinder and grip, and braided tubing. This hasn't exactly turned it into a "brick wall" stopper, so I was thinking about other pads? Like with drum brakes you can fit a more agressive lining material. Is this possible with the Commando disc pads?

braided pipe is fine... I can accept that ;)

David, you say the caliper is too small,were there any improvements done at the time to improve performance (larger rotor, different caliper) ?

as said I am fine to change stuff and improve provided it was fitted back in the years.

thanks

The only period caliper mod is the Lockheed racing item. I believe that these are back in production (the expensive original handed type, not the later universal casting) Even then, you'll need an adapter plate or a Norvil fork leg.

Master cylinder improvements will help. I have a Lockheed Racing item with a standard caliper and Ferodo 'Platinum' pads. However, the standard caliper can be seen to flex a little under hard static application. The through-bolted racing caliper doesn't do this.

I'm quite happy with the braking of mine under sensible conditions.

The standard Commando had the same front brake caliper and disc throughout all the disc braked models. If you fit sintered pads (if you can find them) you will suffer from accelerated wear of the disc. If you want to use the full performance of the Commando, and have done the master cylinder mods, the next step is either a Lockheed or Grimeca caliper. The original caliper is just not up to the job for todays driving conditions. That is purely my opinion.

Converting my 71 Commando to acceptable disc, from TLS drum, cost me about twice what I paid for the bike in 1975 (£350). Fork sliders, disc, caliper, master cylinder, pipe, mounting plate, wheel and some of those parts were second hand. It does stop well now.

I converted the rear brake to twin leading shoe hydraulic from a leyland mini and that works properly now as well.

Previously wrote:

The standard Commando had the same front brake caliper and disc throughout all the disc braked models. If you fit sintered pads (if you can find them) you will suffer from accelerated wear of the disc. If you want to use the full performance of the Commando, and have done the master cylinder mods, the next step is either a Lockheed or Grimeca caliper. The original caliper is just not up to the job for todays driving conditions. That is purely my opinion.

Converting my 71 Commando to acceptable disc, from TLS drum, cost me about twice what I paid for the bike in 1975 (£350). Fork sliders, disc, caliper, master cylinder, pipe, mounting plate, wheel and some of those parts were second hand. It does stop well now.

I converted the rear brake to twin leading shoe hydraulic from a leyland mini and that works properly now as well.

Hi Dave, I`m interested to know how you adapted the leyland mini brake to fit on the commando`s rear brake, sounds like a great piece of innovation.

Chris

richard,

when you say:

"The only period caliper mod is the Lockheed racing item. I believe that these are back in production (the expensive original handed type, not the later universal casting)"

Can u add details (or a link) with the difference between a standard one and the through-bolted one? not sure what you mean.

is it one of those displayed here?

http://www.rgmmotors.co.uk/items.asp?category=38&name=Brake%20System%20Components

Other question, can I use the Lockheed on the stock disk or do I need a 12 inches?

I'm thinking about getting the original MC sleeved by RGM, rather than buying the upgrade kit by Andover. is that all right, or as mentioned on Andover site it is not safe to sleeve stock MC?

thanks a lot guys.

Previously wrote:

richard,

when you say:

"The only period caliper mod is the Lockheed racing item. I believe that these are back in production (the expensive original handed type, not the later universal casting)"

Can u add details (or a link) with the difference between a standard one and the through-bolted one? not sure what you mean.

is it one of those displayed here?

http://www.rgmmotors.co.uk/items.asp?category=38&name=Brake%20System%20Components

Other question, can I use the Lockheed on the stock disk or do I need a 12 inches?

I'm thinking about getting the original MC sleeved by RGM, rather than buying the upgrade kit by Andover. is that all right, or as mentioned on Andover site it is not safe to sleeve stock MC?

thanks a lot guys.

I have the RGM conversion. It has been troublefree for 5 years and 17,000 miles. Andover claim that the sleeve can slip and block ports I believe. I guess it is possible but have not heard of this happening unless Andover know different. I also have a drilled disc which removes 3/4lb or 340gr. It works well but would be better with an 11mm bore master which gives the right balance of feel and lever travel. With the 13mm RGM cylinder it still requires a good strong hand but is no where as wooden as the standard 5/8" (16mm) Lockheed.

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hi Dave, I`m interested to know how you adapted the leyland mini brake to fit on the commando`s rear brake, sounds like a great piece of innovation.

Chris

Hi Chris, I used a standard mini RH twin leading shoe back plate and turned a spacer and welded it in the large centre hole. The mini shoes need slimming down to clear the drum and the shoes can be seen as they bear on the whole surface of the drum. A socket head screw forms the torque peg and the plate needs to be relieved to clear the swinging arm where the LH side of the swinging arm tapers in. With a little care, these last two positions can result in good access to the brake shoe adjusters. My master cylinder is off a triumph herald 5/8" bore I think but you could use a more modern grimeca type item and it would look quite neat. I did it originally because the cable operated rear brake on rearsets with a short lever was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. It's been on there for about 25 years. The MOT testers never say anything. Very few of them know what they are looking at anyway. ( Interesting tale, failed the MOT two years ago for no rear brake light. took it away, couldn't find anything wrong, took it back for a retest and had to point out to the tester that the brake is on the left. Hence no brake light when operating the gear change. Knob)

I chose to upgrade my front disc brake with the RGM sleeve kit, a braided hose and Lockheed racing caliper but have retained the standard 10" disc (see orange '72 Combat in the gallery). As the disc and pads are new, both have got to bed in a little but first impressions are of a big improvement. Just a couple of observations - the Norvil adaptor plate needed a lot of fettling to make it fit my fork slider correctly and also when the caliper was offered up to the adpator/disc it required spacers in the form of a stainless steel washer on each main bolt to centre the caliper around the disc. Also, it's tricky trying to estimate the length of the hose. Mine looks ok when the bike is at a stand still but when I'm riding it's obvious that it could have been and inch or so shorter.

I would recommend that you also spend the extra dosh (and find the patience to wait for them) and get RGM to machine & fit the reduction sleeve. It's not too difficult to do yourself but mine weeps fluid so at some point I will have to strip and reassemble. I used Locktite gasket cement on the sleeve thread, followed the instructions to the letter and kept everything spotless. The firm that machined the master cylinder are a precision test machinery manufacturer so it must be my fault!

I know that if I want a 12" floating disc in the future I'll need to replace the adaptor plate but I didn't like the idea of a universal item.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans