Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1972 commando

Hi all, need a little help here. Just bought a 72 commando - re-living the teenage years. For the life of me, cannot find the choke, ones I remember had the control on the handlebars. This one does not. Is there something tucked away that is playing hide and seek or were there Commandoâs made with no choke?? Many thanks, bob

Assuming you have twin Amals, maybe the previous owner took the air slides out to just rely on the ticklers for richening the mixture for cold starting. Do you have two cables at the top of the carbs? Or is the air slide cable removed and plugged?

Does your bike have the crankcase breather at the rear ? And a small sump drain plug ?? If you intend to rev it over 4500 rpm on long straight roads there is a danger of wet sumping. Check 'old brits' web site and see 'oil loss on commandos '

Colin

Previously peter_stowe wrote:

Assuming you have twin Amals, maybe the previous owner took the air slides out to just rely on the ticklers for richening the mixture for cold starting. Do you have two cables at the top of the carbs? Or is the air slide cable removed and plugged?

hi Peter, thanks for the reply.

Yes, two throttle cables from the top of two Amal carbs, but without removing tank, cannot see the tops to see if plugged etc.... Remember the tickles very well of older bikes back in the day, but never had a problem starting from cold. Thanks again.

Previously Colin Fairall wrote:

Does your bike have the crankcase breather at the rear ? And a small sump drain plug ?? If you intend to rev it over 4500 rpm on long straight roads there is a danger of wet sumping. Check 'old brits' web site and see 'oil loss on commandos '

Colin

Thanks Colin, not been down that path yet, but will take a look. No, not likely to be running at 4500 but well worth noting.

will get back to you.

Previously John Shorter wrote:

I often took my ?71 750 up to 6,000 r.p.m. through the gears. Maybe that's why it was a mobile oil pump!

Mine was the same until I modified the crankcase scavenge according to the "Old Brits " article. Then..... end of problem !!!

colin

'...but without removing tank, cannot see the tops...'

On your knees Bob& use your finger tips Wink

Cheers Mike

Mk III ES - with choke slides removed,they are a stupiddesign - if the cable breaks thecarbs run seriously (George Soros) rich! At the risk of being flamed, I'd say that most Commando's will run without them, they just need a good tickle (& who doesn't :)

Previously bob_scholes wrote:

Previously peter_stowe wrote:

hi Peter, thanks for the reply.

Yes, two throttle cables from the top of two Amal carbs, but without removing tank, cannot see the tops to see if plugged etc.... Remember the tickles very well of older bikes back in the day, but never had a problem starting from cold. Thanks again.

Hi Bob,

If there is only one cable from each carb then you do not have a choke fitted. As mentioned it is possible to start and run like this but it implies the bike is possibly running a little rich.

The suggestion that a choke cable breaking will cause a problem is a bit of a strange one (Although I know this is mentioned often). How much stress is this cable under ? What about if a throttle cable broke, or a clutch cable?

The ticklimg will only richen it for a very short time. Then you will need to keep the revs up until it has warmed up.

If it works, leave it as it is. If you have trouble starting or keeping it going till it is warmed up,then fit a pair of chokes.

Regards

Tony

I took my choke slides out over 40 years ago and have managed happily without them. Started first kick this morning and off I went, engine running nicely.

Ian

I never had choke slides in my Commando but there are those that say you need them. The choke cables do supply you with a spare pair of throttle cables should one break

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans