Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1967 MERCURY

Forums

Am I right in my knowledge that there were only 700 Mercurys produced ? If so the one I have just inherited was used by the Bermuda Police Force ,, before returning to Blighty ,,, and I am lead to believe the original tank colour was Blue ??

Mercury production starts at number 129147 and ends at 129896. This suggests 749 were built but interspersed within this group were some factory 650 and 750 specials generally built for overseas military forces.

Basic Mercury models have painted (Atlantic Blue) mudguards, battery box, oil tank and primary cases, a single speedometer clock (no rev-counter) plus a Silver tank. Options include chromed or stainless mudguards, rev counter parts and twin leading shoe front brake.

Cylinder head, crankshaft and crankcases on the Mercury Model were actually Commando castings modified to 650 specifications.

Although some of the parts were manufactured in 1967 the actual bike production run does not appear to have started until after February 1968...........ending about 6 months later.

Attachments 1968-mercury-jpg

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Mercury production starts at number 129147 and ends at 129896. This suggests 749 were built but interspersed within this group were some factory 650 and 750 specials generally built for overseas military forces.

Basic Mercury models have painted (Atlantic Blue) mudguards, battery box, oil tank and primary cases, a single speedometer clock (no rev-counter) plus a Silver tank. Options include chromed or stainless mudguards, rev counter parts and twin leading shoe front brake.

Cylinder head, crankshaft and crankcases on the Mercury Model were actually Commando castings modified to 650 specifications.

Although some of the parts were manufactured in 1967 the actual bike production run does not appear to have started until after February 1968...........ending about 6 months later.

Thank you for that Phil ,,,

Mine falls in that category 129522 ,,, the other thing I am pondering over Phil, my brother whom I inherited the bike off used to work for Goss Printing Press, and in his infinite wisdom ,,, dissected two front wheels and bonded them together with a single 7 inch shoe on either side, two brake cables leading up too a dual control on the brake lever (all done by himself ) but to be honest it looks a bit 'abortive' - but it is different and a very effective brake ,,, your thoughts would be appreciated? I would like to keep it as near to original ,,,, but my brother still has a say in the project .

Cheers

That Mercury was dispatched to Eastern Caribbean Commission, Grenada in March 1969. It was one of two bikes that were dispatched there, the other being 129521. As for the dispatch records there are lots of gaps so a true figure of how many were made and dispatched can not really be given. Only 100 weresold in England and the rest were exported, as the last one was dispatched to Gus Kuhn Motors in April 1970.

Twin hub front brakes were used by quite a few race teams before disc set-ups became the norm. I believe that the Grimeca double hub double twin leading shoe hub is still available for those with a spare grand to spend.

I have seen a few home-made double hub Norton front wheels built by twinning up two of the pre-1955 single sided hubs.

The Mercury also had its own rear mudguard transfer the head of Mercury the Roman winged God on the back mudguard before the rear number plate. The other four leading shoe front brake was the one used on the Suzuki three cylinder water cooled models. I saw one of those brakes fitted to Roadholder forks that were fitted to a BSA twin frame that had a Honda four cylinder engine in it. This was at last Sunday Hot Rod, Custom and Bike show at Kenley airfield, Caterham, in Surrey.The owner hadalso converted it to right hand gear shift. It was a really very well built and put together special. Such a shame that our own manufacturers could not have built some thing similar.

Therewas also the four leading shoe brakes made by CMA and Dresda back in the 1970's and they also made an eight leading shoe brake four either side. The four leading shoe has the four brakes in one hub. I have one of those CMA, Dresda brake's fitted on to my Dominator cafÃ? racer.

Mine falls in that category 129522 ,,, the other thing Iam pondering over Phil my brother whom I inherited the bike off used to work for Goss Printing Press ,,, and in his infinite wisdom ,,, disscected two front wheels and bonded two together with a single shoe 7 inch on either side ,,, two brake cables leading up too a duel control on the brake lever a ( all done his self ) but to be honest it looks a bit Abortive ,,, but it is different and a very effective brake ,,, your thoughts would be appreciated Phil ,,,, personally I would like to keep it as near to original ,,,, but my brother still has a say in the project .

Cheers Phil

Hello David - interesting thread so far. I may be able to shed some more light to this topic. I also used to own the Mercury with frame and engine number 18/129522 - in fact I rebuilt it when it returned from the Carribean. I sold it to a friend named Andrew Martin that lived in Catforth on the outskirts of Preston. As it was a re-imported bicycle it was registered in Blackpool as JFR454S. It had a silver tank with Manx linings and the rest was black and chrome. I had to fit a tachometer to it for Andy's requirement which was rare for a Mercury. It also had fitted a double-sided single-leading shoe front brake which I built from two Triumph T110 front hubs drilled extensively and bolted together and fitted with two eight inch Gold Star front brake plates tastefully drilled so that they matched. I used the Triumph bearings with a sleeved spacer to suit the Norton spindle. Two torque arms fastened to the mudguard top fixings in the forks. The brakes were finished with Ferodo linings at the Ferodo factory in the Peak District. The lever and cables were off-the-shelf items from Colin Seeley who made similar racing front brakes. I lost touch with Andrew when I moved abroad and later I heard that he also went to work and live abroad. When I returned I lived in a completely different region and sadly I never saw him since. If you are related to Andrew please mention me to him. I think his wife may have been called Christine. They were a lovely couple. Regards, Howard Robinson

Attachments AndyMer2.jpg

Previously anthony_curzon wrote:

That Mercury was dispatched to Eastern Caribean Commission, Grenada in March 1969. It was one of two bikes that were dispatched there, the other being 129521. As for the dispatch records there are lots of gaps so a true figure of how many were made and dispatched can not really be given. Only 100 weresold in England and the rest were exported, as the last one was dispatched to Gus Kuhn Motors in April 1970.

Hello again Anthony / David / Phil - As well as 18/129522 that David referred to I owned 18/129521 as well. I rebuilt it for a friend of mine, Adrian Smith, who had an expired donor Dominator. He wanted it to look like an early 88SS so we used the Dommie front end and lots of the frame parts but used the Mercury frame, engine and carb. Unfortunately it got a 1975 Lancashire registration (LCW503N) but that was probably swapped for an age-related plate by now. I haven't heard of its whereabouts for several years. (See attachment). Regards, Howard

Attachments aidmer-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans