Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1960 ES2 head gaskets

Forums

On removing the head from my ES2 the normal alloy head gasket has been found, but also in place is a small circular copper gasket between the top of the cylinder liner upstand and the underside of the head. It may even be that the copper gasket that has been providing the seal.

Is this latter gasket normal? I don't see it in the parts list.

If copper gasket is not normal advice on what sort of clearance there should be (if any?) between the upstand and the head head would be appreciated.

Hi Iain,

I have purchased two or three gasket sets for my 1958 19S and the head gasket was only the soft alloy item fitted as standard, the copper ring in the recess of the cylinder head sounds like somebody's "better idea". My "better idea' was to make a gasket out of "0.020" soft copper sheet.

You might try Mike Pemberton about any cylinder spigot/cylinder head clearance questions, his number is listed in Roadholder magazine.

regards,

Albert.

Thanks Albert

i will try his website contact, i am in New Zealand so phoning might be a bit pricey.

cheers

Iain

Previously wrote:

Hi Iain,

I have purchased two or three gasket sets for my 1958 19S and the head gasket was only the soft alloy item fitted as standard, the copper ring in the recess of the cylinder head sounds like somebody's "better idea". My "better idea' was to make a gasket out of "0.020" soft copper sheet.

You might try Mike Pemberton about any cylinder spigot/cylinder head clearance questions, his number is listed in Roadholder magazine.

regards,

Albert.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans