Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 dominator forks

Forums

hi all, i inherited my late fathers dominator 99 with sidecar last year and am thinking of putting it back to single while i renovate the sidecar. is it worth buying a set of second hand forks or pay for a set of new ones approx £1000 plus vat. i have the yolks etc plus other bits as my dad collected and saved every part he could inc gear box cylinder heads swing arms plus an array of parts.

thanks

paul

Did you get a set of standard fork yokes, ie ones for solo riding?  If you have a standard set, just swap them for the sidecar ones.  You should also check if you have solo fork springs or solo ones.

As the "Roadholder" forks were fitted to various machines, there are several different spring rates. This is denoted by various coloured stripes near the top. I don't have them to hand at the moment, but I'm sure they are given in Bacon's "Norton Restoration" 

be wary of buying a set of used forks, unless they are dissassembled so that you can properly inspect them.

Also,have a look at JS motorsport [ jim Stewart) website about making them work well: particularly fork bushes,damper valves and top caps ( clearances of latter two are critical).

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans