Skip to main content

What Price for an Excellent Condition Commando 850

Forums

As the title says, can anyone give me a ball-park price to pay for an 850 Commando which is in excellent, renovated condition? The bike I am interested in is the model without the electric start.

I am not going to reply what price as its so variable from dealer to private sale but I am going to say be aware of if it seems to good to be true it normally is, I was checking the price myself recentlyon ebay watching certain bikes then one morning,, logged on and found a newly listed mk11 restored for £3100 buy it now I checked his other items and there was a electric start 850 at just over £ 4000 I was for a few minutes exited and checked his other listings, a boat ,,digger , aston martin ,,caravan,,all photos at different locations by the evening the bikes had gone and chatting to a friend he said its normally a scam, not sure how it works but presumably he scams a deposit somehow. They are not rare bikes and there are a lot of very good sorted bikes now on the road and a lot of older owners ready to downsize so best start with the roadholder adverts as a base line for price,at least you know who you are dealing with. Arthur.

Hi, As is usual,pay what you want to pay. However looking at the ads etc, I reckon a good 850 must be £7500 + and I saw a nice bike last year that the new owner had paid £8500+. At the Copdock show, this was the sort of money being asked, as ever, I don't know what they went for.

As an owner of a MK3, a customer asked me this weekend if I would sell it, as he was looking at one for £12000. I said no as I like it too much, and I would then have to replace it with something.

I am not sure I would pay £12000 for one, I would accept that though!

If it is a good one then £7500 would be a good price but some people's idea of good, is way short of my mark. I regularly see bikes on eBay that are obviously a mix and match collection of bits. Typically interstate tanks with roadster side panels, S type that have roadster panels or one of each. Fastbacks with a big chrome rear mudguard under the tail cone. The Commando lends itself to being chopped about. Study the photos on the "models" list at the top of this page, do your homework first.

Thanks very much for all the good advice. The reason I asked for a price guide is that a friend of one of my friends has one he is thinking of selling and I want to get an idea of what I should be prepared to pay for that bike. It is in excellent, restored condition but has not been used since he bought it a few years ago, it has just sat in the garage along with the other bikes in his collection so I expect there will be some recommissioning work to be done (and some money to be spent). Is £8000 too much, is £6500 too little? It's an Interstate in black with gold pinstriping on the tank and looks like new. What do you think?

There are lots of classic bikes that win concour's competitions but you cannot start the engines as they have no oil in them. Restored can mean the paint looks nice. Unless you can start it and run it you can not tell weather it is completely knackered and only good as a piece of art. If the owner is prepared to let the oil be changed, fresh petrol put in and a good battery connected and the bike started then at least you can run it. Even if it runs you could end up with big bills. The Tank may look like new but does it hold petrol?

I think your range of £6.5k to £8K is about right. You see bikes on E-bay from dealers over £10K - too much.

As always dependent on condition and when was the last engine rebuild.

I bought my bike in 2010 for £5.5K and although a solid base, its taken a lot of work and money to make it reliable ride, but now I have no issues with riding many miles (puncher on the way to Kempton last!).

Good luck - Paul.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans