Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Upright gearbox 1949

Forums

I have had a problem with the bike jumping out of 3rd gear. 

I've removed and stripped the box and can't find anything damaged or worn. What could it be causing this problem? Could any of you technical guy's point me in the right direction please.

Hi David, 

This is probably due to worn clevis pins and holes in the external linkage rod and top and bottom levers due to their exposed location. Did you check the spring in the vertical indent plunger that contacts with the cam plate ? If this is O.K. try the following. Put the bike on it's stand so you can turn the back wheel and put into 3rd gear. Remove the bottom clevis pin and then apply slight pressure up and down on the bottom lever to see if it is settled into the 3rd gear notch on the cam plate. you might find with a slight nudge it clicks into a firmer position. If this is the case, adjust the linkage rod to the new position, it might only need a half turn and when correct refit the clevis. If your linkage is very worn you might find the same problem shows up engaging bottom or top gear. You will either need to find new parts or bore out and fit oversize clevis pins

...but don't be too fanatical about snug fitting clevis pins. The linkage causes them to rotate about the axis of the pin, but also to rock slightly in the other direction. I made a nice snug fit pin on the lathe...and it didn't work...maybe a real keen type would add rose joints?

...one other area that can give you issues is the dolls head itself. Sluggish movement due to heavy grease deposits / build up can sometimes stop the pawl dropping into position.  This only applies if your lower detent (as per Richard) is not adjusted properly; A lot of which are not. 

cheers

Jon

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans