Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Rim and hub paint for 1957 19S?

Hi,

I am restoring a 57â 19S

The center of the hubs were painted black, but I think that was just a previous owner, but the interesting thing is it looks like the rear hub was originally painted silver / aluminum

It is painted all over including the under the brake hub and under the spokes

I removed the spokes and the silver paint is there, I would be surprised if they had been removed before

Does this sound right?

The wheel rims are chromed and show no signs of paint

Was the painting of the inner area just for earlier bikes or an option?

Thanks!

Previously mark_eakins wrote:

Hi,

I am restoring a 57â 19S

The center of the hubs were painted black, but I think that was just a previous owner, but the interesting thing is it looks like the rear hub was originally painted silver / aluminum

It is painted all over including the under the brake hub and under the spokes

I removed the spokes and the silver paint is there, I would be surprised if they had been removed before

Does this sound right?

The wheel rims are chromed and show no signs of paint

Was the painting of the inner area just for earlier bikes or an option?

Thanks!

I am currently restoring a 1957 ES2 and came across the same problems, my hubs were also painted silver though I have had mine cleaned and polished, I was lucky to find an old copy of "the Classic Motorcycle" June 1989 which has a 1 owner un restored 1957 model 50in it which is fitted withunpainted chrome rims. I suspect that the painted rim centres may have ceased with the chrome and painted tank [1956]

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the tip on the magazine! I just ordered one on ebay

It is difficult to figure out what is original or not

Do you think your hubs were originally painted? Maybe no way to know

My bike was last registered in 1970 and has sat in the same garage since then until I bought it a few months ago, but there was plenty of modification and damage, but I think the rear hub painted is the way it came, but not the front, which seems a bit odd

Mark

Previously mark_eakins wrote:

Hi Alan

Thanks for the tip on the magazine! I just ordered one on ebay

It is difficult to figure out what is original or not

Do you think your hubs were originally painted? Maybe no way to know

My bike was last registered in 1970 and has sat in the same garage since then until I bought it a few months ago, but there was plenty of modification and damage, but I think the rear hub painted is the way it came, but not the front, which seems a bit odd

Mark

as this was the first year for these full width hubs [I believe 56 were different] they may have been feeling their way

I'm pretty sure my 55 19S had painted lined rim centres but the jury is out on the 57/58. I sold my 19S in 75 so don't quote me. The only Norton I ever sold!

I have seen a 57/58 single with lined rim centres but also seen most of them just chromed. It is entirely possible that it was a factory option? I bought new stainless rims (& spokes) for mine and will leave them as they are.

thanks,

I think I will have my rims re-plated, probably cost more than new but they will say Dunlop

The paint on the rim question is more of a curiosity, the real puzzle is the painted rear hub

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans