Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Nortons 1932 on

Forums

While rummaging through one of my baskets I came upon a hardback copy of: NORTON MOTOR CYCLES. By E.M. Franks. I had been looking for guidance on the laydown gearbox strip down and there it was, a step by step guide to stripping and servicing. The book contains detailed info on all models from 1932 to 1955, including 70 illustrations that can make maintenance so much easier. No doubt many of you are well aware of this little gem but for those who aren't I would recommend that you seek a copy out at any autojumbles or car boot sales that you might frequent.

Attachments image-jpeg

Edgar Franks was of course a senior engineer at Nortons and although his name is not as well known as some of the others he was responsible for much of the design work on the singles and twins.

I have a 1948 edition of the book which was my late father's and the oily thumbprints bear witness to some of his struggles with his Model 19 when I was but a toddler. It's very well written and is really all you need (although I had to buy a slightly later edition to cover my 1952 ES2's gearbox).

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans