Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton navigator 1961 front wheel spindle

Forums

Hi I'm a new member to the norton owners club,I have recently purchased a navigator reg 502uxb,frame number 97670, engine number 97670 19 looking at the front wheel spindle it is getting tired, I have measured up the thread and I believe it is 9/16 26tpi,however I can't seem to find a die,most company's are offering 9/16 24tpi so I'm doubting my measurement! Is there any one who can confirm the thread size and pattern

The spindle should be the same as a Dominator and I THINK that the thread is 9/16" x 20tpi. which is not a common size if you are looking for a die.

I have just checked and I find that the JUBILEE wheel spindle appears to be 9/16" x 26TPI. The Jubilee front wheel doesn't fit a Navigator which should have Norton Roadholder forks and has the same front wheel as a Dominator. The Jubilee is totally different - so I'm a bit confused.

Previously patrick_mullen wrote:

The spindle should be the same as a Dominator and I THINK that the thread is 9/16" x 20tpi. which is not a common size if you are looking for a die.

I have just checked and I find that the JUBILEE wheel spindle appears to be 9/16" x 26TPI. The Jubilee front wheel doesn't fit a Navigator which should have Norton Roadholder forks and has the same front wheel as a Dominator. The Jubilee is totally different - so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks pal I have since been in touch with Mitchell fox engineers Leeds, they tell me it is a 9/16 26 PTI with 60 degree angle known as British cycle thread, and am in the process of getting a tap and a die

Thanks for all the quick replys it was well worth my subscription price! To norton owners club!The now up dated size is 9/16 26 tip 60 degree angle British cycle thread,not to be confused with bps which is 55 degree angle thread!

Hello there,

The Norton JUBILEE has a front axle with a 9/16" x 26TPI front wheel nut (Cycle Thread) but this only fits the 18" wheel and the Francis Barnett style front forks as fitted to the 250cc Jubilee. The NOCshop are probably the only source of new nuts- I don't know if they have any axles.

The Norton NAVIGATOR (which has a 350cc engine) has a 19" front wheel and Norton Roadholder forks, same as the big twin. The axle to fit this is the standard Norton item which is a totally different item to the Jubilee axle. New axles and nuts are available from several sources but these do not fit the Jubilee.

So you need to be sure which model you actually have -otherwise you could get the wrong spare parts which won't fit.

Patrick.

Jed, unless that is a typo error in your reference from your Leeds engineers you seem about to purchase taps and dies that won't be much use to you. Roadholder spindles, along with most of the larger threads on that era ofNortons are 20tpi British Cycle thread, not 26tpi. The latter generally apply to fasteners of 3/8" and below. Good quality taps and dies for 9/16" 20 tpi can be obtained from https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/20-TPI-CYCLE-PITCH

Jed

if I were you Iâd be worried that my Navigator had Jubille forks, if you post a pic here weâll soon tell you what you have!

All the best

dan

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans