Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Mystery tank on my 1951 ES2?

Forums

I recently purchased my ES2 from an American who bought it in Cornwall in 1980 and did nothing with it. It's running great and I'm really pleased with it.

The ES2 came with the tank as pictured on the bike.

I assumed it had been repainted decades ago. I wanted another tank on hand before I considered stripping and restoring the tank in case there are some hidden "surprises". I ordered a replacement from Vintage Spares in India .

I realize now is that my tank was NOT the original, correct tank. The frame bosses don't match the tank bolt centers and the frame bosses have been filed to allow the tank bolts to pass through.

The Indian tank fit perfectly; 5 1/2" centers and 13 3/4" centers front-to-back matching what I measure on the frame. The old tank is 5" centers front, 5 3/8" centers rear with front-to-back centers of 14".

There seems little doubt that this is a Norton tank... but for what model ??

Local "experts" suggest it might be for the early swing arm ES2. It has the 2 screw knee pad mounting holes under the old John Bull knee grips.

Based on the photos and the tank bolt centers...I would be grateful if anybody can tell me what bike this tank is meant for please.

Attachments IMG_2761.JPG IMG_2762.JPG technical1-

The Indian made tank you've bought is for an earlier ES2, in 1951 they changed from the 2.75 gallon tank to the 3.5 gallon tank. The earlier tank had 1 screw to hold the knee rubbers and the later tank had 2. Your tank looks to have after market knee rubbers.

Here's a picture of my 1949 and 1952 ES2's, you can see the difference in tank size. I no longer have the '52 bike

[IMG]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j331/Horror/DSCF0040_zpsec49a7e7.jpg[/IMG]

Hi i have an es2 tank and a 1956 19s tank and the difference in size looks very much like what you have there. the 19s tank on mine is a lot broader and slightly taller at the front basically bigger alround than the es2 one .Baz

Previously dave_graham1 wrote:

Sorry Grant, I didn't read all your comment before replying.

Yes dave, I agree that from the resarch that i have done, the 1951 tank should be a 2 screw knee rubber. Which is one reason I always felt that my old tank was "origiinal" until I noiticed the odd-ball bolt centers and the filing on the frame bosses. The Indian tank suppliers did make a mistake and supply me with a 1 screw knee rubber which was NOT what I had ordered. I also am trying to get them to do up the same tank in bright nickle instread of chrome. I am hoping to determine if the larger tank existed in Sept of 1951 when my bike was built...I think not.

Grant

Hi Grant, I recently purchased this tank for my 1955 ES2, early swing arm model. It also has tank mountings that don't line up with the frame mounting lugs.

Although it wasn't exactly correct for a 1955 model, (I was going to braze in some tank badge screw bosses) superficially, it looks to be the correct Norton tank. However the frame lug offset put me off the idea and, luckily, I have now sourced the correct one anyway.

I had thought this tank must originate from another marque, maybe an AMC, but now I see your listing I wonder what it could be for. I can't help ID it, but will be intrigued to see what others say.

Paul

Attachments DSCF0263.jpg dscf0267-jpg

Yes Paul...they all look so similar on the bottom.

I think the only chance of truly nailing down what this tank is will be if somebody out there has the same bolt centers on their tank.

Finding one with 5" centers at ther front bolts might help to confirm what it is

fingers crossed

Grant

just measured the 19s tank i have the mounting bolt holes are five and a half inch centers across the tank both front and rear and both 14 inch centers along the tank. hope you can find what it fits. baz

Previously grant_macneill wrote:

Previously dave_graham1 wrote:

Sorry Grant, I didn't read all your comment before replying.

Yes dave, I agree that from the resarch that i have done, the 1951 tank should be a 2 screw knee rubber. Which is one reason I always felt that my old tank was "origiinal" until I noiticed the odd-ball bolt centers and the filing on the frame bosses. The Indian tank suppliers did make a mistake and supply me with a 1 screw knee rubber which was NOT what I had ordered. I also am trying to get them to do up the same tank in bright nickle instread of chrome. I am hoping to determine if the larger tank existed in Sept of 1951 when my bike was built...I think not.

Grant

The bigger tank did come in for 1951. a 3.5 gallon tank with 2 screw fixing for the rubbers. According to my book the colour of the tank for 51 and 52 was silver (not chromed as there was a chrome shortage). The sales picture for 51 does show it with a chromed tank but maybe they weren't anticipating a chrome shortage when it went to print. I don't know of any that were nickle plated. Your bike should look the same as my 52 bike picture I posted earlier. Here's a 1951 Norton sales picture for the ES2.

[IMG]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j331/Horror/1951%20Norton-1951-catalogue-05_zpskvagb0v4.jpg[/IMG]

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans