Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Model 50, 1962 Push rod tunnel seals

Forums

Is there any trick or tip to fitting the push rod tunnel seals in the cylinder head ? I have tried inserting the seal into the head first, but then I can't push the tube into the seal. I have tried putting the seal on the tube first, but then I can't get the assembled tube into the cylinder head. It all seems a bit too tight. All is well oiled but I still cannot assemble it.

Should I loosely fit the tubes in the cylinder head and use the head bolts to pull it down ? But that seems a bit drastic to me.

thanks for any help

Mike

I insert the top washer and rubber seal into the head first with light smear of non hardening sealing compound (e.g. Curil T), to provide some lubrication. Rubber grease would probably be fine as well. I then slide in the tubes and bottom bevel washers similarly lubricated until they are essentially home. When the head is torqued down it all seems to sort itself out. BTW I can recommend VW air cooled pushrod rubbers (German apparently better than South American origin) for the bottom pushrod tube seals.

How long are late Model 50 push rod tubes? Because they are not much shorter than the ES2 items.

Hi Michael,

Yes. I didn't know if you were building this engine from scratch or just overhauling.

The more common late ES2 engine's tunnels are 61/2 inches, just 1/4" longer.

Not everybody knows that. But at least you have the correct items.

Good Luck.

In reply to by neil_wyatt

I would not say that the late ES2 is 'much more common' than the equivalent Model 50, in fact quite the reverse.

In reply to by neil_wyatt

Hi Niall

Repaired cylinder head (Loose valve seat) and re bored. All back together now thanks. I bought  different rubber seals and they went in OK. I think the others, although new, were too hard.

Cheers !

Mike

Hi Neil

Sorry Neil, I sent my reply to Niall instead of you. I guess you will be able to see the reply anyway.

Mike

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans