Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Lucas headlight for 1965 Dominator 88SS

Forums

Hello everybody.

I own a Norton Dominator ss 88 500cc from 1965 and I started a fully restoration.This bike was all its life in Portugal so it had not the original lighthead. I really do not know if my current headlight was the original one for EU markets instead of UK model or if the old owner changed for himself. My doubt is about restoring the one I have or change it to the original UK.I attached a photo. Is it possible to find and buy the original UK???Thanks in advance!!!.Miguel

Attachments photo04-r-jpg

Hi, We will need to know frame and engine numbers to work out if the bike is 1965 or an earliier bike that has been registered later. Even then its possible that an export bike would have different specs from what we are familiar with. 1965 bikes would not have had the speedo in the headlamp .What you have looks good to me!.

Previously Jonathan Soons wrote:

Are you talking about the speedometer? That is made by Smiths not Lucas.

Hi Jonathan. I am talking about the whole shell. It a Lucas one I think.

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

Hi, We will need to know frame and engine numbers to work out if the bike is 1965 or an earliier bike that has been registered later. Even then its possible that an export bike would have different specs from what we are familiar with. 1965 bikes would not have had the speedo in the headlamp .What you have looks good to me!.

Hi Robert.

Frame is 88-114476 and motor 122-SS-114476 so its an 88ss from 1965 but I do not have more data about this. It was straight to Portugal according with my documents.

I think I am going to restore the original adding an extra Smiths Tacho, but first I wanna try to know if its the original one. if not I am looking for one!!!

On page 53 of Roy Bacon's "Norton Twins" there is a 1966 88SS with the same headlight shell as Miguel's.

You can see the lighting switch and speedometer in the shell so the panel mounted instruments were an option from 1964 till the end of 88 production. Ball-end levers may have been standard though.

Miguel...your lamp case does not have the Lucas roundel at top dead centre - but has a small blue light - which seems slightly strange. Was the roundel lost by 1965?The picture you have posted of an original has an ignition switch whereas yours should have only a light switch as the 88SS had a magneto until the end.But the answer to your question - lamp cases in that form don't seem to be available so you'd better retain it. (Unless somebody knows better?)Lots of restored Dommies have after-market lamps with the wrong shape.

Looks good to me, Miguel. Good idea to utilisethe Lucas medallion.

I need one of these head lamp shells ideally, for my 57 model 50, if anyone still has one for sale. At least it won't keep it off the road!

The 88SS is a rare bike , some of the parts are now very difficult to replace ,particularly the Barrel and the special crank that was strengthened internaly. I would be extra carefull who i trusted with a rebore or grind. And i would not do either unless absolutely necessary.

Previously miguel_ovelar wrote:

Hello everybody.

I own a Norton Dominator ss 88 500cc from 1965 and I started a fully restoration.This bike was all its life in Portugal so it had not the original lighthead. I really do not know if my current headlight was the original one for EU markets instead of UK model or if the old owner changed for himself. My doubt is about restoring the one I have or change it to the original UK.I attached a photo. Is it possible to find and buy the original UK???Thanks in advance!!!.Miguel

Hi Miguel - I have included scanned images of both SS's available in 1965 from AMC Catalogue. Both models depicted have the headlamp like your bike has. The image you show that you want to copy looks like a 1962 99SS . As another contributor says the magneto models did not use the switch you have shown, as that was for a coil ignition system. All the 88 and 650 Sports Specials used magneto ignition systems. The scans that I include do not adequately show the lighting switch. The early ones had the Lucas Type 41 SA switch which had screw connections for the wiring harness and the 650 changed to the Lucas Type 88SA switch that had a removable pre-wired connector in 65/66 ? I do not know if some of the later 88's got this switch but many people did fit them when rewiring their bikes. Either switch will work but the latter will need an adapter washer to fit it to your headlamp. The switch you have will work adequately if you remember to connect the alternator coils correctly. You don't say that your bike is 12V with the necessary zenner diode regulator - but it should be. Regards, Howard

Attachments Scan650.jpeg scan88-jpeg

Previously Jonathan Soons wrote:

On page 53 of Roy Bacon's "Norton Twins" there is a 1966 88SS with the same headlight shell as Miguel's.

You can see the lighting switch and speedometer in the shell so the panel mounted instruments were an option from 1964 till the end of 88 production. Ball-end levers may have been standard though.

Thanks a lot Roy. I am going to look for that book, but meanwhile, could you send me a picture of that page and shell?. Whatsapp would be easy and fast if you have it.. My phone is +34 678657900

Previously David Cooper wrote:

Miguel...your lamp case does not have the Lucas roundel at top dead centre - but has a small blue light - which seems slightly strange. Was the roundel lost by 1965? The picture you have posted of an original has an ignition switch whereas yours should have only a light switch as the 88SS had a magneto until the end. But the answer to your question - lamp cases in that form don't seem to be available so you'd better retain it. (Unless somebody knows better?) Lots of restored Dommies have after-market lamps with the wrong shape.

Thanks for your answer David. I agree with all you said. Its a really strange shell. The blue light is for beam indicator. Never saw one shell like this before on a Norton. That is why I am trying to figure out if its the right one for EU markets or the one that previus owner put on it. The lack of the 'Lucas Lion Coin' on it makes me think its a non original Norton's Shell, but I am not sure yet!!!

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Looks good to me, Miguel. Good idea to utilisethe Lucas medallion.

I need one of these head lamp shells ideally, for my 57 model 50, if anyone still has one for sale. At least it won't keep it off the road!

Hi Neil.

I've been trying to find an original Dommi UK Shell for 2 moths and nothing. I found two with crazy prices... next to 900â?...

If I find 2 of them, you will be the first one to know. :) Good luck!!!

The 88SS is a rare bike , some of the parts are now very difficult to replace ,particularly the Barrel and the special crank that was strengthened internaly. I would be extra carefull who i trusted with a rebore or grind. And i would not do either unless absolutely necessary.

Hi Robert, thanks for the info. Do you mean Cylinder Barrel?. Motor is right now so I am not going to touch it. My point on classics bikes is not to touch anything until a problem show up...

If change is ok, wouldnt be neccessary to strenght the crank, would be?

Previously howard_robinson wrote:

Hello everybody.

Hi Miguel - I have included scanned images of both SS's available in 1965 from AMC Catalogue. Both models depicted have the headlamp like your bike has. The image you show that you want to copy looks like a 1962 99SS . As another contributor says the magneto models did not use the switch you have shown, as that was for a coil ignition system. All the 88 and 650 Sports Specials used magneto ignition systems. The scans that I include do not adequately show the lighting switch. The early ones had the Lucas Type 41 SA switch which had screw connections for the wiring harness and the 650 changed to the Lucas Type 88SA switch that had a removable pre-wired connector in 65/66 ? I do not know if some of the later 88's got this switch but many people did fit them when rewiring their bikes. Either switch will work but the latter will need an adapter washer to fit it to your headlamp. The switch you have will work adequately if you remember to connect the alternator coils correctly. You don't say that your bike is 12V with the necessary zenner diode regulator - but it should be. Regards, Howard

âCool!. Thanks Howard. My ss88 was one of the last produced. I can not see the shell at the top but, yes, it looks very close to the one I have. I am going to try to find one of those brochures.

You are right about the Magneto. 88ss from 1964 comes with Magneto Ignition 12 volt. I attached a picture of the lighting switch (sorry about quality I took it with my phone). So according to your info, my switch is not the right one for the magneto models??? Did I undestand you correctly? In this case I should look for the right one!!!!

Attachments 20151027_014232-01-jpg

hello again Miguel, the switch top shown in your attached image does seem correct for a magneto 88SS. Is it possible to take a photo of the switch itself ? On the previous image in your first question I understood that you wanted to have the same as the UK Model (the one with key) which would not be correct for your model. Sorry for the confusion. You would find that your switch will not fit in the headlamp shell that you say you would like without a small modification. Or you could look for the earlier switch - Lucas Type 31784D Model 41SA. Good Luck, Howard

I see your shell is a bit battered ,Give it to a panel beater with an old HL rim to guide him . Nothing wrong with your set up.

Thanks for the offer Miguel. The good new is that NOCSpares have now located a metal spinner and can have some new shells made.

All they need is the loan of a good original.

Something tells me there will be no new shells any time soon...Please prove me wrong!

hello later lighting switch was a SA88 Lucas and the model 88SS had a Competition Lucas Magneto K2FC witch now too buy cost some £800 pounds I do have a genuine Lucas SA88 lighting switch in my Spares box , if any one is interested , yours anna J Dixon

hello again Miguel, the switch top shown in your attached image does seem correct for a magneto 88SS. Is it possible to take a photo of the switch itself ? On the previous image in your first question I understood that you wanted to have the same as the UK Model (the one with key) which would not be correct for your model. Sorry for the confusion. You would find that your switch will not fit in the headlamp shell that you say you would like without a small modification. Or you could look for the earlier switch - Lucas Type 31784D Model 41SA. Good Luck, Howard

hello the SA 41 went on the early 650 and the early slimline model 88SS up to 1964 then they changed too the SA88 from then on , 1950s early switch were U38 Lucas , on model 88 and model 7 yours anna j

Hi Howard!

For the moment I have borh options open.

1. Find the original Shell to restore the hole headlight from it.

2. Restore the one I have (more likely). In this case I will look for a new switch light button.

Best regards!!!

Hi!

I'll go to that if I cant find the original shell.

Thanks Robert

I see your shell is a bit battered ,Give it to a panel beater with an old HL rim to guide him . Nothing wrong with your set up.

Than we have to find agood original shell donor to copy it!!!

Come on guys, donor your shells to the science!!!!

Best regards Neil

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Thanks for the offer Miguel. The good new is that NOCSpares have now located a metal spinner and can have some new shells made.

All they need is the loan of a good original.

Something tells me there will be no new shells any time soon...Please prove me wrong!

Thanks a lot Anna.

I have to wait until knowing if I am going to find a original shell or restoring the one I have.

Best regards!!

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

hello later lighting switch was a SA88 Lucas and the model 88SS had a Competition Lucas Magneto K2FC witch now too buy cost some £800 pounds I do have a genuine Lucas SA88 lighting switch in my Spares box , if any one is interested , yours anna J Dixon

Thanks a lot Anna.

I have to wait until knowing if I am going to find a original shell or restoring the one I have.

Best regards!!

Hi Anna, I currently have a SA88 light switch without a Knob (it's the vibration you know) Let me know what you want for your switch, or if anyone has just a Knob available? I already have 2 working switches but no means of operating them!

Best regards,

Chas

I have a new shell as fitted to coil ignition bikes ,waiting to replace the battered one on the bike,but its not what Miguel is looking for.

Hi Anna.

Could you sent me a picture of the SA88 lighting switch you have from top and down (2 pictures)???. My email ismig.ovelar@gmail.com

Kindly tell me its diameter!!!!

Best regards

Hi Anna.

Could you sent me a picture of the SA88 lighting switch you have from top and down (2 pictures)???. My email ismig.ovelar@gmail.com

Kindly tell me its diameter!!!!

Best regards

Miguel, There is a shell for sale on uk e bay under Norton Dominator. Its for the coil ignition bike and has holes for speedo,ampmeter and medallion . the hole for the switch may be different slightly and there will not be a hole cut for idiot light.

Miguel, There is a shell for sale on uk e bay under Norton Dominator. Its for the coil ignition bike and has holes for speedo,ampmeter and medallion . the hole for the switch may be different slightly and there will not be a hole cut for idiot light.

Thanks Robert, I missed that eBay Shell. Ups!

Happy Christmas everyone!!!

I have a doubt.What is the different between :- EARLY REPLICA LUCAS MULTI-PIN HEADLAMP IGNITION SWITCH, PLUG IN TYPE (replica of Lucas 88SA)and- Lucas 318346 PRS8Do they both fit for a Norton Dominator SS88??

The PRS8 switch is a large double layer switch designed for coil ignition bikes ,not fitted to magneto bikes. If you had a correct headlamp for an SS I suspect you could not fit a PRS8 as the shell needs a shaped space. In any case even if for some reason you wanted to you would find that the switches currently around are poor quality pattern ones. Keep looking for the correct switch ,or something close .

The PRS8 switch is a large double layer switch designed for coil ignition bikes ,not fitted to magneto bikes. If you had a correct headlamp for an SS I suspect you could not fit a PRS8 as the shell needs a shaped space. In any case even if for some reason you wanted to you would find that the switches currently around are poor quality pattern ones. Keep looking for the correct switch ,or something close .

You right. ss88 is magneto ignition so Lucas 88SA is requested.

I found another original lightshell for Atlas. Could I use the PRS8 with that shell with a magneto ignition system? Only the PRSA?.

Its not a problem to use the 88SA, I already have it. But the switch is really an ugly soft rubber instead the beautiful PRS8 switch.

Look:

- Lucas PRS8 switch : http://www.feked.com/prs8-ignition-light-switch.html

- Lucas 88SA switch : http://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/early-replica-lucas-multi-pin-headlamp-ignition-switch-plug-in-type_2099.htm

You right. ss88 is magneto ignition so Lucas 88SA is requested.

I found another original lightshell for Atlas. Could I use the PRS8 with that shell with a magneto ignition system? Only the PRSA?.

Its not a problem to use the 88SA, I already have it. But the switch is really an ugly soft rubber instead the beautiful PRS8 switch.

Look:

- Lucas PRS8 switch : http://www.feked.com/prs8-ignition-light-switch.html

- Lucas 88SA switch : http://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/early-replica-lucas-multi-pin-headlamp-ignition-switch-plug-in-type_2099.htm

Hello, I am not certain all model 88SS machines had a magneto. My 'Motor Cycling' road test of the model, supplied by Norton, and dated 11th May, 1961, show it fitted with 18D2 distributor, and PRS8 ignition/lighting switch. This equipment was left in place when the machine was subsequently raced at Thruxton. Also, not all deep headlamp shells had the Lucas medallion. My friend purchased a brand new 650SS in 1964, from Pride & Clarke, London. This had a deep shell, no medallion, twin clocks, but a wideline tank badge occupying the space formerly reserved for the speedometer!.

The early SS bikes did have coil ignition ,PSR8 switch etc and 6 volt but all this does not apply to the 65 bike.As it is a rare and valuable machine it would be best to stick with the orriginal spec if possible. There are some very experienced experts who consider that this bike was the best thing Norton made.

Hello Peter, As you say Robert some of the early 88SSs from 1961 and 1962 did have the 18D2 distributor coil ignition fitted from new like most of the 99SSs. However they are very rare birds indeed and I have never seen one. One of the factory fitted options for the 88SS was a K2F manual magneto and I have seen several of such. By 1963 the standard ignition system on my 88SS was the K2FC Automatic Competition magneto with the 88SA headlight switch and 6V electrics. The manual magneto was still a listed option in 1962 so presumably there must have been 88SSs built in that year still fitted with the 18D2 distributor. I suspect that when the 650SS reached its full production capacity in 1962 there were magnetos, headlight switches and downdraught cylinder heads a-plenty to satisfy the dwindling needs of the smaller cousin. I doubt very much that the factory ever produced a 650SS with a Wideline petrol tank badge in the hole for the speedometer. More likely a dealers mechanic's bodge to move old stock ?? Cheers, Howard

Miguel/Neil

I have a headlight shell in my garage that looks very similar to those in the pictures. As far as I know it's original as it was retrieved from the garage where my 1960 99 came from and the previous owner was a Norton fanatic. The shell is in good condition (no visible damage) but the Lucas badge is missing.

Drop me an email and I'll send some photos at the end of this week.

As far as I'm concerned it can go to the highest bidder as it's surplus.

John

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans