Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Lens material for MT110 taillight

Forums

Hello

Another question, what was the original material for the red tail light lens in the MT110 tail light for the 1946 time frame?

Was it glass or plastic and was it plain or jeweled or faceted?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Hello Mark

A couple of years ago I found a source of new old stock Lucas MT110 tail lights. They were eye wateringly expensive, as the supplier had been watching ebay prices, but I got one anyway as I wanted my restoration to be correct.

The lens is made of plastic, and is a smooth finish inside and out. It is held in place with a rolled on chrome (probably brass, as is the main body) bezel. The bezel is quite a crude fit - it rocks about and turns easily, as does the lens inside - a dab of clear silicone should sort it.

Proir to this I had one of the far eastern pattern ones, which at least has afitting for a double filament bulb to give a stop light.The lens on this is smooth outside and faceted inside, but is alarger diameter, and would not fit a genuine Lucas MT110.

Hope this helps

Regards

Roger Hainsworth

It's a good question, Mark. Lucas were masters of supersession so we're unlikely to find any differences in part number or even references to changed construction in any literature.

Although fitment to new machines didn't continue for long after the war, they are likely to have continued producing them as spare parts until demand dried up and there could have been detail changes during this period.

All I can say for certain is that the lens on the Khaki-Green No.3 MT110 fitted to my 1939 16H is made of glass and is smooth and rounded on the outside and faceted on the inside. The retaining bezel appears to be made of aluminium. The number plate window is of clear acetate.

Mark / Richard

I have a verycomprehensive Lucas book - 'Equipment and Spare Parts for Motor Cycles - Master Catalogue 1936 - 1957'. A4 size &1/2" thick, It lists, with pictures, every Lucas motorcycle part made during that period.Two different MT110's are listed - ordering numbers 53009, and 526082, but I cannot work out what the difference is. To complicate matters there is an 'A' on the end of most of the listings, which may be a later mod. to plastic lens?

I have 2new old stock MT110's, both have the plastic lens,( the bezellookstoo bright to be aluminium) -with plastic lens as possibly later production? In the foreword of the catalogue under 'Supersession charts for units & parts' it states 'that many of the older units and components are no longer available, and every endeavouris made toreplacethem with more modern and improved types'

As an example, Norton ES2 is listed as having Tail & number plate MT110 53009A from 1936-48, Then MT211 for 1949 -50, a480 for 1951-52, then a stop & tail and number plate light 525 for 1953-54, and a Stop tail, number plate and reflex (reflector) 564 (the common 'D' light of the 50s & 60's) from 1955 - 1956and so on - I said this book is comprehensive!

Richard - your 1939 16H is listed as 'Tail and number plate' MT110 - 53009A, and glass would make sense for that earlier period.

Regards

Roger

Norton ES2

Roger and Richard

Thanks for the replies. So we have a light fitted to a 1939 machine that is glass and faceted on the inside, and we have spares essentially, that are smooth and plastic inside and out. So I would use either and be at least period correct for my 1946 Model 18.

The MT110 I got off ebay at an eye watering price came with a plastic smooth inside and out lens. Unfortunately, the plastic is melted and bubbled from a hot bulb I suspect some where in it's lifetime. Luckily the seller refunded a portion of the price due to this.

Drat, I had gotten a Remax tail light assemble at a reasonable cost from ebay, it has a glass lens with the facets on the outside and is a bit large in diameter to fit directly but with some careful grinding could be made to fit and with a couple dabs of silicone would have worked.

well back to the drawing board.

Regards

Mark

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans