Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

identity of rear shock absorbers on a 1957 Dominator 88

Forums

I need to replace the shrouds on the rear shocks on this bike. I intended to buy from the NOC Shop but there is no identification on the body of the shock absorbers other than 4/245 ADL. Are they Girling and will accept the Girling shrouds in the NOC Catalogue?

They look like Girlings. Won't the original shrouds take a blasting and powder-coating? I would far rather use original parts than throw them away and buy after-market ones, assuming they are salvageable. You know the originals will fit!

I have just finished a 1957 ES2, my research stated that Norton went to Girling shocks for 1957,my original shocks look similar to the picture, I fitted NJB replacements, they look very similar.

Al

Just rebuilding myDominator 99first registered Feb 57 and it has Armstrong's identical to Skip's photo. The manufacturingdate on the shocks is 1955 so they were obviously stilusing up old stock.

The top seals and piston rods need replacing on mine after standing outside for 8 years, does anyone know of a reputablecompany/individual who will undertake their repair?

Dick

Armstrongs are easily recognised by the knurled area on the body. Used to be able to get units rebuilt ,Rustler Racing??.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans