Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Help....novice newbie! 1936 Model 50

Forums

Hi

Total motorbike & Norton novice!

Can anyonerecommend the best oil for my newly aquired 1936 Norton 50? Presume I need a straight 30? And where to get it? And what tyre pressures...both tyres front & rear are 3.25-19's.

Thankyou

Sue Harris

Attachments norton-50-darvi-597-jpg

Nice bike, but I have to ask, whats the car in the background?

I use Morris straight 40 in both my Norton singles. Its available at most autojumbles.

Tyres will need a bit of experimenting to see what works for you, mid 20's front and back would be a good starting point.

Andy

Thankyou so much! Now how doI tell just how much oil is in there? The only thing I can find out is to look in the oil filler cap when she's warm & running to make sure the oil's moving properly. But I can't find anywhere to see the actual level.

The car in the background is my 750 Formula car, Darvi 597. If you Google Sue Buxton (my former life)or Sue Harris & Mick Harris 750 Formula, you'll see what we're used to doing!! "Bikes" is all very new to us!!

Depending on when the bike was last run, it would be a good idea to at least drain the sump or if oil-changing, remove the tank and filter and give it a good flush out. They can be quite sludgy.

You'll receive all sorts of view points on oils but I agree with Andy that you really can't go far wrong with Morris's 'Golden Film' 40 It's been around for years and I've never heard a bad word from a user.

Modern tyres, even with older type tread patterns are claimed to have softer sidewalls than the originals so pressures can be expected to be above those given in the original publications.

Thankyou both for your advice....appreciated

We're running her up every weekend, but as we don't even have a bike licence yet we can't take her out!! Just trying to get used to all the bits & pieces we need to do/know/maintain

To check the oil level, here is what I did:

When I did an oil change and the oil tank was empty I made a measureing tool. All it is is a 15" length of 3/8" wooden dowel. With the oil tank empty and the drain plug installed, I added a quart of oil. Then I placed the dowel into the tank and marked the height of the first quart. Then I added the second quart and marked the dowel again. The book calls for 4.5 pints in my 1961 Model 50 so I added 1/2 pint and marked the stick a final time. I keep the stick in my tool chest and before a ride it is easy to check the oil level and top up the tank accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Good idea...used to do the same for the car, so will hunt out the trusty wood somewhere in the garage! Thanks

In cold weather I let the oil; level drop off the stick and it still does not get hot enough to drive off condensation.

Not that we didn't have it already, but MAJOR respect to all you guys...we've both just passed our CBT today, but phew, it ain't easy, this biking lark! It's the really slow stuff that needs so much concentration, & there are so many people out on the road who could kill you!

Yes, it's amazing how much your perspective changes when you venture out on the road on a motorbike isn't it? Stay safe.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans