Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

ES2 speedometer. 80 or 120mph?

Forums

I have a 1951 Norton ES2 500cc. A sketch in my parts catalogue shows an 80 MPH speedometer as being fitted. I have searched through numerous photographs of 'original' machines and some have 120 MPH and others have the 80 MPH fitted. Can anybody tell me which is correct.

Previously Paul Knapp wrote:

I have a 1951 Norton ES2 500cc. A sketch in my parts catalogue shows an 80 MPH speedometer as being fitted. I have searched through numerous photographs of 'original' machines and some have 120 MPH and others have the 80 MPH fitted. Can anybody tell me which is correct.

The 80 mph one for your year of 1951, 120mph was later when the ES2 engine and box found its way into a featherbed frame. Yours Anna J

When I had mine overhauled by Phil Woods he checked the records and told me it should be a 120mph on my '51 ES2. 80mph was fitted to the model 50's and 120mph on the 500s.

Andy

Hi paul i was under the impression that 80 mph was standard 120 mph was an opptional extra i have pre and post war nortons they all have 80 mph spedos regards roger

The factory records for my pre-war inter stated an optional extra 120mph speedo. I was led to believe that by 1951 the 120 was standard on the ES2 though. I could be wrong though.

Andy

My 1938 original catalogue, and separate price list, both list a section of extras for all models. Included are 'Smiths Trip Speedometer' -

80 m.p.h. £2.10.0,

120 m.p.h. £2.16.0

It seems for pre-war machines, you could specify either, although I assume Inters would have 120 m.p.h.

Feburary 6th, 1936 'The Motorcycle', has a road test of 'The 490cc ES2 Norton' Top gear speed 76 m.p.h, but with the rider 'lying down' was increased to 79 m.p.h.

So, all you pre-war ES2 owners, that is the target when spring comes . .

Roger

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans