Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

ES2 1948/1938 gearbox problems/parts

Forums

Hello,

Wondering if you could help me find a good solution or distributor to get some gearbox parts for my ES2 1948.

I have looked at the Club's shop and found some but not all parts.

Attaching some poor sample of the parts the bike currently had on.

Regards,

Paul. (new member)

Attachments motorcycles-com-ar-norton-es2-1938-2015-06-10-0050

Morning,

I have some info..

The gearbox adjuster and kickstart can be found on eBay. I bought them for my '48 and they seem to be made very well. (From India). I could find no other source for these items although BMH in Oz lists them (currently out of stock).

The kickstart axel is like gold. I know of no source at the moment. I've been looking for some time now. Again BMH lists it but out of stock.

Cheers from Halifax,

Bryon

Ok! shame, I was hoping I was the only one... I see. Was a little concerned on purchasing from India etc.

Will have to give it a try!

Cheers from South America!

Paul,

I've also fitted this Indian adjuster to a DollsHead box and it seems very satisfactory: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-NORTON-16H-GEAR-BOX-ADJUSTER-pummy-/251605459321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a94daa179

TheNOC Spares currently shows a s/hand kickstart shaft at £25 which looks an improvement on the one in your photo. Seems missing the pawl, spring and pin but these areavailable (RGM & Russell Motors) if yours are not salvageable.

Racing Norton do a reasonable replica kickstart shaft: http://www.racingnorton.co.uk/shop/article_0298%2520A2%252F360/Norton-1930's-40's-Kick-Starter-Lever.html?sessid=KQHm3AMjWJwjsM912B6uamwVvJxRfRArEgUlVmNyRrmTuQYhMhfjMEvnhIc5xmDH&shop_param=cid%3D44%26aid%3D0298%2520A2%252F360%26

Whatlength is thekickstart shaft? I have one butcan't remember ifitcame out ofad/head orLaydown.

Yoursifitwill fit....

Hello,

I have looked at your links and I must say a huge thank you!! I have been struggling for 3 years with these parts.

Will be ordering some parts from racingnorton.co.uk today.

Measuring the shaft right away to publish here.

Cheers,

Previously jonathan_newton wrote:

and one more...

The pawl needs a bit of a stoningbutshouldberight. Send a list of bits to J_N_Newton@hotmail.co.uk I'll see what's in the box thatwouldmatch your needs.

Cheers

Jon

Hello Jon,

It all went very well with the gears. Here is a photo of the ES2 at the track. The kickstarter shaft has not been installed yet since I am waiting for a new Kick Starter.

Thank you!!

Regards,

Paul.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans