Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Classic TT 2017

I apologize if this is the wrong section for this inquiry but, I am thinking about making a trip from the US to the 2017 Classic TT. (Last at the TT in 1971). Are there classic/club events that overlap with the Classic TT? Do a significant number of people bring older bikes? I was thinking it would be more low key and less modern superbike than the regular TT. Is this correct? Generally is it worth a visit or does it just make more sense to go to the regular TT?

Not been since they changed the name from the MGP on principle, about 2013 but this is the event for old bikes and there is always a Norton reunion at Laxey. (Got the badges) I plan on going in 2017, God willing and of course taking a Norton. There will also be a big VMCC gathering, last one I went to was in Castletown. For an old bike enthusiast it makes more sense to go to the August/September event but that's just my opinion. I don't know what the line up is for 2017 but it is customary to see trials riding on Douglas beach and an old bike show on the prom.

The Senior Classic, usually on Bank holiday Monday and the Junior on the following Wednesday are the highlights of the racing for old bike fans, Manx Norton's included. Anyone who went last year can update, especially if there has been significant change.

You won't be disappointed. Last years event was attended by >30,000 with plenty of mix when it comes to machinery. Events all over the island, great access to riders as they are much more relaxed than at TT. At Jurby circuit Tony East organisedone of the largest display of running exotica you will see. Static or running, it's all there.

see you there ð

So far I've been at the TT in -15 and at the GP/Classic TT in -16. Hopefully I'll go to the GP this year either on the 16H or the Vincent. In -18 maybe on the Manx if we are fit for that.

If you are interested in Nortons and a lot of other older bikes, the GP is in my opinion more interesting. The sunday in Jurby is absolutely stunning. Even a walk on the promenade is fascinating. On thing worth mentioning is the dustbin Gilera (first 100+ lap) celebration lap with Michael Dunlop.

Mike

I have been 4 times, once in a camper van with the wife and 3 times with my 2 sons and 3 classic bikes in a van camping, best times ever.Old bikes everywhere you look,lovely roads ,beaches,mountain roads,pubs with good food,absolutely no agro from anyone.Ideally you need a bike or bring riding gear and get a pillion lift from an internet buddy!!. You could see if you could hire a bike for a week,book into an off circuit campsite and rent the tent and kit,or buy cheap stuff from camping shop,think there is all in Peel that you need.

Lots to do during practise and race weeks, Ramsey Sprint, VMCC rides, Jurby meet etc etc. Been 5 times now over last 15 years and will be there this year. Never been to the TT but been told its too busy and for the younger bikes, been to the Manx in both GP and Classic TT forms and even though the Classic TT is more commercial its not intrusive in anyway.

Previously marc_reibman wrote:

I apologize if this is the wrong section for this inquiry but, I am thinking about making a trip from the US to the 2017 Classic TT. (Last at the TT in 1971). Are there classic/club events that overlap with the Classic TT? Do a significant number of people bring older bikes? I was thinking it would be more low key and less modern superbike than the regular TT. Is this correct? Generally is it worth a visit or does it just make more sense to go to the regular TT?

Check the IOM VMCC web page for all dates of rallies.

Four of us from Bristol Branch already booked up to go. We've been several times and definitely recommended, but get your ferry and accommodation booked now as both get booked up very quickly. A lot of the Douglas accommodation is already taken up.

Alan Elstob

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans