Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Can any 500T owners please help me?

I have a 500T and cannot get the right parts to drive the speedometer. I believe its the same as a ridgid ES2 speedo drive 2.1 ratio? Its such a simple thing but getting the right bits is crazy. I have asked several people and they say its easy but cannot tell me where to get the bits or even if its right, can I drive a speedometer off this hub?

My hub is the ridgid type, 2 x part axle (long piece from right to a stub bit on the brake side). I have checked the 500T in the NMC Museum and its the same. (See photos)

I had sold the bike but the guy withdrew when he could not ride it on the road?

I ordered all the bits from RGM. The drive ring supplied by them was a L/H tread (Dominator), my bike is a R/H thread. The speedo gearbox drove from the bottom, all photos I have show top. Even if it all was right the actual pawls in the gearbox would be some 3/8" from the drive ring i the gearbox as the gearbox would be flush up to the hub.

I have all the original Norton part numbers from my original parts book but no suppliers seem to use them for some reason? (See attathments)

Where can I get these bits? Is my rear hub right? What do I have to do? Is it a make your own drive job?

Any advice is most welcome, if you have a gearbox and drive ring could you send me all the details / photos

Karl 07919001044

Attachments DSCF0153.JPG IMG_20140728_0001_NEW.pdf IMG_

Explain your problem to..feked.com .They have a whole range of speedo geardrives for Nortons both clockwise and anti clockwise rotation into the speedo.

Previously carl_sanders wrote:

I have a 500T and cannot get the right parts to drive the speedometer. I believe its the same as a ridged ES2 speedo drive 2.1 ratio? Its such a simple thing but getting the right bits is crazy. I have asked several people and they say its easy but cannot tell me where to get the bits or even if its right, can I drive a speedometer off this hub?

My hub is the ridged type, 2 x part axle (long piece from right to a stub bit on the brake side). I have checked the 500T in the NMC Museum and its the same. (See photos)

I had sold the bike but the guy withdrew when he could not ride it on the road?

I ordered all the bits from RGM. The drive ring supplied by them was a L/H tread (Dominator), my bike is a R/H thread. The speedo gearbox drove from the bottom, all photos I have show top. Even if it all was right the actual pawls in the gearbox would be some 3/8" from the drive ring i the gearbox as the gearbox would be flush up to the hub.

I have all the original Norton part numbers from my original parts book but no suppliers seem to use them for some reason? (See attachments)

Where can I get these bits? Is my rear hub right? What do I have to do? Is it a make your own drive job?

Any advice is most welcome, if you have a gearbox and drive ring could you send me all the details / photos

Karl 07919001044

hello there is not a drive ring on these hubs there is two slots for the gearbox drive to go over the top and in side the gearbox drive there two locating pegs that fit into these slots the Best Man in UK to ask about gearbox drives and speedos and rev counters and the like is Alan Gagg of Nottingham he bean doing this type of work all his life

The hub you need is for a 1954 dominator : your rear hub did not have the speedo drive taken from it , but the speed drive was driven by the front wheel hub instead , just like the 16H models , Mark you the 500T is built from parts of two different bikes the frame and cycle part from the 16H the engine and gearbox from the ES2 , some engine's had Alfin barrels fitted these where alloy barrels made by Alfer bearings , I had the 500T at one time , for a ride to work bike with lights fitted , I used the River bank side as a short cut to work just a 2 mile run , so the 500T was just the right bike for the job,

hope this may help your anna j

Hello Anna,

Thank you for your reply. My 500T has never been registered until last week. The rear hub I believe Norton used the WD hubs as really there was no need for a speedo in a trial.

I have had the idea to make an extended hub locking ring that will replace the one in the hub, its easier than having a new hub / wheel build and will only take an hour or so on the lathe. That way I can machine the corresponding slots to match the speedo drive. The outer of the ring can be made to suit the internal diameter of the speedo drive. When all completed you will not be able to see any of it as it will be all covered by the speedo drive. Make new spacers from stainless and we are in business.

Kind regards

Carl

Previously carl_sanders wrote:

Hello Anna,

Thank you for your reply. My 500T has never been registered until last week. The rear hub I believe Norton used the WD hubs as really there was no need for a speedo in a trial.

I have had the idea to make an extended hub locking ring that will replace the one in the hub, its easier than having a new hub / wheel build and will only take an hour or so on the lathe. That way I can machine the corresponding slots to match the speedo drive. The outer of the ring can be made to suit the internal diameter of the speedo drive. When all completed you will not be able to see any of it as it will be all covered by the speedo drive. Make new spacers from stainless and we are in business.

Kind regards

Carl

Hello Well you have to machine the sleeve nuts down to as there heads stick out at the ends of the hub where the speedo gear box goes , too undo these nut I use a box spanner the was one in the tool kit that came with the bike and there is one for the wheel spindles too

, anyway good luck with it all , yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans