Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Big4 ES2 500T special 1951 - top gearbox bolt and adjuster

Forums

This posting was raised to see if anyone had a good pic of the gearbox adjuster. I have started to make my own version of this as I have had to make new bolts/studs. For interest : Here is a picture of the gearbox adjuster assembly "As fitted" when I bought the bike.

I stripped the bike ( despite it being really good to ride ) when, one day, I was sat on the bike ready to start itwhilst chatting to a friend and without looking tried to tickle the float chamber and it had gone!

When I looked down the carb had fallen off. The previous owner has modified an inlet stub fromflange to push-on and welded a staight stub to a hex nut engine fitting. The weld was actually just glued with spatter ( lots of pigeon sh-t in evidence ).

I decided to fully inspect the bike for safety as many mods had been conducted. I recalled that the previous owner mentioning various "Tweeks" and I was horrified when I looked at the bottom steering yoke that had been sawn into 2 parts, filed down and then welded to alter the rake to 500T ( cold welded on cast iron ---- and lots of pigeon sh-t ). Judging the effect of tickling the float I felt a bit uneasy at trusting a main safety item like a steeting yoke!!

The bike was stripped and I found that someframeeyes- considered not to be needed - had been hacksawed off. The hacksaw had not stopped with just the eyes but continued into frame lugs. Frame repaired and then sent off to the powder coater.

Attachments 15072012552-LRes.jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans