Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Big4 ES2 500T Special 1951

Forums

Big4 ES2 500T Special 1951

Good morning.

I thought that I had posted some information about the progress on this project but it appears not so what follows is a taster that some of you may find of interest. This links with other entries that can be found by using the above search-string in Singles.

I expect that this project will eventually become a big story ( I am very good at producing cures for insomnia ) but for now the basics are :

When I came to the rebuild my focus on what it was going to become had changed a number of times. It was just going to be a Green-Laner ( as it was when I bought it ) but I had acquired a very nice âFast Roadâ engine ( no real idea about how nice it was at the time of purchase ). I had also purchased a trials chair ( no idea why because I do not do 3 wheels ).

Green Laner was required for VMCC outings ( I had a full competition Moto Gori, which was an animal and quite unsuitable for this sort of use ).

New engine changed the possible rebuild to a Sprint Special. I was very active in the VMCC and a few other clubs and thought that I might like to have a go at the Lyme Sprint.

Massive changes in my life and some real issues with one club saw me moving away form active club involvement so the Sprint Special then went to Fast Road 500T(style) Special.

The chair was sold as I could never get my head around ever using it. It turns out that the bike ( as it now is ) and that chair would have made a very handsome set-up. Should have kept it but ââ-.

Rebuild started 2012 but there was concern over that new engine. Dedicated carb and magneto. No air slide, no tick-over adjustment and no ignition advance/retard. Everything suggested that this engine was not for road use or for a kick-start lever. My days of Bump-Starts ( post pelvis damage ) were over.

Finally dug out the notes that came with the engine and managed to contact the previous owner. Together with my notes about work done by Rodney and Alan Wright the previous owner advised that it had International internals, was used with a Kick Lever and was nice for road use. âA souped-up sheep in wolves clothingâ???!!

Just about everything had to be re-made and changed. You can add other Nortonâs, BSA and Triumph to the bikes title.

It has had 2 front ends on it during the rebuild. Now fairly standard but with a circa 55 8â front brake.

I have lost count with how many chain cases have been tried until I finally got there.

The engine is superb. Very gutsy but it spits like a ???. That carb is a waste of time ( looks good but I think it is too worn ). I will eventually replace it with a standard big bore Amalâwhen I can justify the money.

This year I finally found a suitable chain guard and a period rear mudguard frame so these are now on. The Bu**er is that one week after purchasing the rear frame ( at great expense ) a 500T one came up!!

The original tyres that I fitted ( Twinduroâs ) were far to harsh on a rigid so these have now been changed to modern Avonâs and the ride is far better ( less lost fillings ).

Still to source a genuine rear wheel ( existing is Triumph but it is round and works ) and eventually ( as my 2 other projects ) strip, fettle and have chroming done.

Hope that some of you like it.

Link here to my Flickr folders which have been tidied up :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twosheds2007/sets/

Attachments Chair%20ns.jpg Norton%20500T%20Special%202012%20lr.0.jpg www.nortonowne

Hello there Do you still have the 500t sidecar and would you consider selling? Please feel free to call 07872381238 Regards Ricky Harrison

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans