Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Belt drive on 500 twin

Forums

I`ve a slimline model 88,and the clutch is getting tired and noisy, I`m thinking of lashing out on a belt kit,any of you Noccers out there like to share your experiences,with such.

cheers,folks.

Hi Alan,

I mentioned this in reply to a similar recent question. Before fitting a belt drive it is essential to check that the crank drive shaft and the gearbox mainshaft are parallel in two planes at approx. 90 degrees to each other. If not the belt will run in or out (depending on shaft alignment) on the drive shaft pulley and wear the outer edges of the belt, leading to premature breakages. If your not sure I'd stick with the chain and refurbish/replace the existing clutch,

Simon.

Hi Alen Go for the belt drive! I have a model 50, and converted to a Mick Hemmings kit (Via Mike Pemberton) and it went well.1500 mls and no problems. I visited Mick H to get other parts, and he was very helpfull,the advantage you gain(apart from no oil leaks) is a diaphram clutch, with a wider 'sprocket' than the engine 'sprocket' so run off should not be a problem. I may occasionaly put a Dominater engine in my frame, and expect to use the same system. Whilst I was doing this I replaced the output gear box seal under the final drive gear(only a few Quid) The original chain case went back on,with no modification.

Regards John Oldridge

I`ve a slimline model 88,and the clutch is getting tired and noisy, I`m thinking of lashing out on a belt kit,any of you Noccers out there like to share your experiences,with such.

cheers,folks.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans