Skip to main content

Anyone have info on this particular 1953 Model 30?

Forums

I've been in contact with the current owner of this machine regarding its possible sale.  Wondering if anyone here can shed some light on it's prior history. Thanks in advance for any information.

Jerry Kaplan,  Davis, CA

Looks the business.  my only  questions are,  why so low milage  ?,  not enough to sort out any bugs.   Why wrong tyre sizes  ,3.50 rear and  3.25 front  should be . Not really an issue but just makes me wonder if  the builder was that bothered also  about correctness inside ,or is it just an exhibit trailer queen. If you are looking for a rider its better to pick one thats been ridden.

Robert...3.00 and 3.25 is correct for featherbed Inter according to Bacon. I didn't realise the earlier twins were 3.25 and 3.5 until they went to 3.00 and 3.25 in 1956 (although the Model 7 had the smaller section). Bike looks amazing...the video shows it does run...so it looks low risk to me! With what little I've learned about Inters, I might check the bevel mesh at top and bottom and the Oldam couplings.  It looks too clean to be using castor oil!  Let's not start another oil thread yet...

No room in my shed, and not enough time to enjoy...

Thats interesting David,  I has assumed the Inter would have the same size tyres as the twins that used the same frame/guards etc.  The only logical reason for the extra  narrow tyres would seem to be a weight reduction as the Inter was beginning to fall behind in the speed stakes at that time. For a regular rider on todays roads the  slightly wider tyres would be my choice . I have managed to fit a 3.25 to the front of my DL ,very close fit   but gives a little more rubber on the road and is as used on the widelines.  Did the Inter run long enough to spew its engine oil everywhere?.I'm sure you are right about the bevels, They don't all make that clatter, enough to make a Velo man of me!. 

My exhaust is so loud, the engine mechanical noise is negligible (compared with my Dommie!). Back to oil...the drawbacks with castor are.. you can't just buy it at a petrol station if you are on a long trip, and the mess. I cleaned by (nickel plated) exhaust with caustic soda. Worked well but it's bit the safest household chemical, especially near all that aluminium.  I suspect modern super synthetic is fine, and no need to strip the motor if you want to change.

Good luck, Jerry! Only you can judge the cost and benefit. But it has all the tinware, and the engine has internals that seem to function.

Finding out this machine was sold recently on Bring A Trailer did not correspond with the alleged sellers statements.  He was asking less than 1/2 of what I thought was fair market value.  I'm more convinced now this was an intentional deceit to steal someone's money and or identity. As usual, if it sounds too good to be true it's not!   Very glad I vetted this sale thoroughly before sending any money.

Thank you one and all, Jerry

In reply to by michael_rettie

So happy you found this for me. I almost fell for this obvious deception. Thank you Michael.

Jerry Kaplan, Davis, CA

A few years ago I listed my ES2 on Craigslist San Francisco with a multitude of photos. After the bike sold I discovered my photos on another website listing it for sale. Even here on our own Club site there have been bogus ads for bikes for sale. Use google's photo search if you have any reason to be suspicious.  I really wondered why someone would buy that beautiful Inter then turn around and sell it. Glad you didn't get burned Jerry. How did you come across this offering?

Thanks again Michael.  I first saw the post on the Norton Facebook group that I belong to among others. I knew it was fishy from the get go so I was never willing to send money with out seeing the bike,  But motorbike lust does strange things to your thinking.

I'm thinking we might be running in the same circles, where are you located, feel free to get in touch directly.

Business card

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans