Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Alfin head/valve springs 1955

Forums

Have had this Es2 about 4 years and it runs really well !Thought i would have the head off to check valves etc alls well a slight pocketing of valve seats other than that no problems ! The valves are standard but the valve springs dont appear to be ie the outside spring 43mmDia X 59mm long the inside 34mmDia x 55mm approx any ideas ? Mike

Previously michael_moody wrote:

Have had this Es2 about 4 years and it runs really well !Thought i would have the head off to check valves etc alls well a slight pocketing of valve seats other than that no problems ! The valves are standard but the valve springs dont appear to be ie the outside spring 43mmDia X 59mm long the inside 34mmDia x 55mm approx any ideas ? Mike

They sound pretty standard to me, Norton OHV singles used fairly large valve springs for some reason. The first time I had my valve cover off on my 19S, I couldn't help noticing how big the valve springs looked.

Previously albert_sheean wrote:

They sound pretty standard to me, Norton OHV singles used fairly large valve springs for some reason. The first time I had my valve cover off on my 19S, I couldn't help noticing how big the valve springs looked.

Hi Albert

Thanks for reply had a look at spring specs and mine are longer up to 7mm will reuse them they seem to be working well !

Hi,just wondered where you found the specs for the spring lengths. I am on a 51 model 18 engine and have tried all my books but none seem to have valve spring lengths. Im reasoning that they are the same as es2, big ones. Thanks,colin.

Previously albert_sheean wrote:

Hi Albert

Thanks for reply had a look at spring specs and mine are longer up to 7mm will reuse them they seem to be working well !

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans