Skip to main content

Accessory plug location on 1971 750

Forums

Hi, can someone please confirm the correct placement for the accessory power socket on a 750?

Basically, wherever you find it easiest to access. I bought a cigar socket, from Halfords, and wired kindle directly to the battery (with an inline fuse).

Hi John, thanks for the post.

Mine is currently at the lower right side of the air filter plate (facing forward),..I was wanting to confirm is this was the original location.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was only the 850 MkIII that had a power socket 'from new'.

Regards

Tony

Can't offer definitive comment other than I recently bought a 2nd hand plug via e-bay, hoping it would fit the socket on my Mk3 (it didn't, one pin wastoo large). A gamble I know, but it was advertised as: 'Mk1 Commando Fastback accessory plug.... for the little socket under the seat or somewhere.'

Five other people put bids in, so somebody must know something?

I am sure Tony is correct. Fitting an accessory socket to a 750 is D.I.Y. improvement. What type is a personal choice, depending on the proposed use. A cigar socket is fine, for charging a mobile, or, with a usb adapter, for GPS or notepad computer. Probably better not to have the outlet facing forward, unless a blanking plug is fitted, to keep out dirt, and rain, when not in use.

I have owned my1971 Roadster for 40 years and the socket is on the air filter front plate above the gearbox on the timing side secured by 2 screws. The socket was on the bike when purchased and is not a DIY fitment as its connected in the original harness and the holes for the fitting screws can be seen on the air filter front plate in the 1971 parts list. The socket itself isalso shown on the "basic electrical components page. Hope this helps.

Best Regards

John

Strange, I owned a '71 Commando (admittedly not from New). However there was no power socket, nor any sign one had ever been fitted. What type of socket was on the fastback?

My 1971 Commando was registered in Feb but according to the club records could have been built anything up to 6 months earlier. Domi type fork yolks, ammeter in the headlight. No external power socket. I thought they were fitted to the Interstate models initially. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a plug suitable to connect anything with it. Mobile phones didn't exist in those days. Air bed pump maybe for those inflatable friends. You wouldn't want to risk flattening your battery on your Mk 3 ES.

According to my workshop manual copyright 1973 the power take of socket for 1971 and later models was located on the front of the airbox or on 1972 models on the right side of the battery carrier.

Previously david_evans wrote:

My 1971 Commando was registered in Feb but according to the club records could have been built anything up to 6 months earlier. Domi type fork yolks, ammeter in the headlight. No external power socket. I thought they were fitted to the Interstate models initially. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a plug suitable to connect anything with it. Mobile phones didn't exist in those days. Air bed pump maybe for those inflatable friends. You wouldn't want to risk flattening your battery on your Mk 3 ES.

Many thanks for the replies... very helpful!

my (roadster) was built in early May 71' and has what looks to be the original wiring and socket fitted to front of airbox (above gearbox)... so perhaps it was one of the first models to benefit from this feature? .... has no ammeter in headlight tho so perhaps this was a change for bikes actually built during 71?

Yep, the plug faces directly forward.. ready to catch fuel, rain, muck and and the like... great design! Have now capped off the wiring and will leave it in place for originality.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans