Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS Cylinder Head Casting Number

Forums

Can anyone please confirm if a head with the casting number ( 23166 ) is the correct head for a 650ss...

many thanks,

bill...

Casting 23166 is no guarantee

I must be a small bolt pattern and match the barrel spigot or no-spigot configuration

Previously william_parr1 wrote:

Can anyone please confirm if a head with the casting number ( 23166 ) is the correct head for a 650ss...

many thanks,

bill...

hello first Down draftCylinder head was fitted to the 1960 Norton Manxman 650 cast Number (23166) on the underside and (22707) L .On top, the 650ss is a home model with parts from the other home model Nortons the Manxman was a pure export machineand built with that bit better parts and some parts are not listed in the home models parts books, the Norton Manxman had its own parts manual in A4 with 38 pages I have one copy an original from December 1960 and frame are dated on the top lug next to the top yoke in very small numbersand the odd letter you may need to remove some paint and a magifiyer to see any thing yours anna j

Attachments 043.JPG 052.JPG technical2-he

Previously David Comeau wrote:

Casting 23166 is no guarantee

I must be a small bolt pattern and match the barrel spigot or no-spigot configuration

Yes David, this is clear now that the bolt size and spacing can vary from different head casting types. Many Thanks, bill

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Previously william_parr1 wrote:

many thanks,

bill...

hello first Down draftCylinder head was fitted to the 1960 Norton Manxman 650 cast Number (23166) on the underside and (22707) L .On top, the 650ss is a home model with parts from the other home model Nortons the Manxman was a pure export machineand built with that bit better parts and some parts are not listed in the home models parts books, the Norton Manxman had its own parts manual in A4 with 38 pages I have one copy an original from December 1960 and frame are dated on the top lug next to the top yoke in very small numbersand the odd letter you may need to remove some paint and a magifiyer to see any thing yours anna j

Thanks Anna for this additional info, it,s most helpful.

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

regards,

bill

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans