Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650ss air filter

Forums

Can anybody recommend a suitable air filter set up to fit a 650 ss with twin concentrics ?I have tried fitting the screw-in cone shaped filters but these are not suitableas the carbs are too close to each other to allow both to be fitted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You require the wedge shaped air cleaner 033030 that was made for the later 650ss and the Atlas bikes. All the part numbers are in the later parts book or the Master Parts List 1966-67-68and I suspectthat either Andover Norton, RGM and Norvil will have the parts you need. K&N used to do one for the Norton twins that clamped to the carbs but they have now been discontinued. There is also two types of this later air cleaner as themounting plate 033026that screws on with the mounting sleeves 033027 there are two lengths. One short and one a bit longer. It is not that well known that this was done, but the longer one came on my 1968 Matchless G15CSR street scrambler so the air clearer would be different to fit the different lengths of mounting plates.

As Anthony states,, all of the parts for the wedge shaped cleanerappear to beavailable from at least one of the usual suspects, with the exception of the rubber sealing rings (grommet 023559) that fit between the carbs and filter rear plate. I have drawn a blank on this so far and am about to attempt to make them from Commando carb inlet rubbers... If anyone knows a source for these I would be grateful if you could help.

Just a thought - there are two mounting plates - could this be to suit the vagaries of concentric and monobloc carbs with different length inlet spacers (aluminium stubs)?

I had those grommets 023559 made a few years ago, as I had the originals ones, and I had them made as per the originals. My original oneshad worn outvery badly so I needed new ones.The problems was the original ones were too small so I sent the air cleaner off and they were then made tothe wedge shapedair cleaners hole size. They now fit perfectly and I had quite a few made, but they were expensive to have remade.

Previously christopher_winsby wrote:

Have a look at RGM Motors twin K&N filter part number R0990

Thanks for the info, that K& N part R-0990 is for a commando so not sure if it will fit

Those mounting plates the both types fit the Amal Concentric carbs it is just a small thing that I found out about in the 1970's, after I bought my G15CSR street scrambler. The longer one is much easier to fit to the carbs and bolt on to the air cleaner. That air cleaner and mounting plate also fits the chopped Monobloc set up from 1963 to 1965 but not the 1966 ones as these are handed and have a different mounting plate and wedge air cleaner. The screw on rings for the carbs are different for the Concentric's and the Monobloc's.

Previously alex_arthur wrote:

As Anthony states,, all of the parts for the wedge shaped cleanerappear to beavailable from at least one of the usual suspects, with the exception of the rubber sealing rings (grommet 023559) that fit between the carbs and filter rear plate. I have drawn a blank on this so far and am about to attempt to make them from Commando carb inlet rubbers... If anyone knows a source for these I would be grateful if you could help.

Just a thought - there are two mounting plates - could this be to suit the vagaries of concentric and monobloc carbs with different length inlet spacers (aluminium stubs)?

I found the rubber sealing rings at Baxter Cycle in the US under part # NM23559.

They are not inexpensive at $8.50 each.

Ed

Hmmm, thanks... As you say, not inexpensive and to that has to be added portage across the oggin etc. I will continue with attempting to manufacture something to fit, but if I am forced to accept defeat I at least know where I can get a pair.

Cheers

Alex

This is my lashup. They are jammed side by side with steel bits overlapping but at least they do something. Jammed against oil tank and battery box with rubber blocks to reduce chafing. Not beautiful but better than nothing.

Attachments dommi07101602-jpg

Previously David Cooper wrote:

This is my lashup. They are jammed side by side with steel bits overlapping but at least they do something. Jammed against oil tank and battery box with rubber blocks to reduce chafing. Not beautiful but better than nothing.

How did you physically get them to fit ? The conical shape prevents 2 filters being fitted together on the 650ss due to close proximity of the cards to each other

I said it was a lash-up!

One stainless flange sits just behind the other. The rubber mouths are long enough to make up the differences. Jubilee clips hold them in place.

It's an 88SS with two 28mm concentrics. More or less the same as 650SS.

A proper wedge-shaped filter is onmy 'nice to have' list but I've done nothing about it so far.

Previously anthony_curzon wrote:

I had those grommets 023559 made a few years ago, as I had the originals ones, and I had them made as per the originals. My original oneshad worn outvery badly so I needed new ones.The problems was the original ones were too small so I sent the air cleaner off and they were then made tothe wedge shapedair cleaners hole size. They now fit perfectly and I had quite a few made, but they were expensive to have remade.

Hi Anthony,

Can you tell me the O.D. and I.D of the grommets you had made (that is the I.D. of the hole that it fits into and the I.D. that accepts the carburetor sleeve)? Also the thickness of these grommets.

Also, I'm unclear as to where the grommets fit. Is it the wedge body or the plate that bolts to the wedge body?

Thanks you,

Ed

The grommets fit into the air cleaner. The mounting plate is then secured to the Amal Concetric carbs with 033027 that screw onto the carbs threads. The mounting plate is then bolted to the air cleaner using two bolts and two lock washers. The Amal Monobloc's fit the same way as the Concentric ones but the scerw on rings for the mounting plate are different. The 1966 Amal Monoblocs are also mounted different as the plate is different and the mounting on the air cleaner and the mounting plate is via the centre of both the air cleaner and the mounting plate.

Previously anthony_curzon wrote:

The grommets fit into the air cleaner. The mounting plate is then secured to the Amal Concetric carbs with 033027 that screw onto the carbs threads. The mounting plate is then bolted to the air cleaner using two bolts and two lock washers. The Amal Monobloc's fit the same way as the Concentric ones but the scerw on rings for the mounting plate are different. The 1966 Amal Monoblocs are also mounted different as the plate is different and the mounting on the air cleaner and the mounting plate is via the centre of both the air cleaner and the mounting plate.

Thank you again, Anthony.

What you describe is what I thought it should be. The problem I have is that the mounting plate for my Norvil 033030 filter assembly has an I.D. of approx. 1.83 in. and the air filter body has an I.D. of approx. 2.125 in.

The grommets I received from Baxter Cycles fit perfectly into the mounting plate but are much too small for the air filter body.

So, I need to determine whether the grommets I purchased from Baxter are incorrect or whether the air filter assembly I purchased from Norvil is incorrect.

This is why I asked you about the dimensions for the grommets that you have.

I would appreciate any more details that you can give me.

Ed

This is the reason that I took the air cleaner and had the grommets made to the air cleaner so that they would fit correctly. The original OEM ones are too small for the air cleaners drilled holes.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans