Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

500T project

Forums

Hello,

I have a Norton 500t from 1951. Almost essentiel parts are here, engine gearbox, petrol tank, wheels, forks...

But some parts are missing: oil tank, exhaust and silencer, mudguards stays, handlebar, speedo bracket, front mumber plate bracket (modified headlamp bracket)...

If someone has few parts for sale or parts to lent for copy or just can help me, you are welcome!!!!!!

my mail is julienlacrambe@yahoo.fr

Regards,

julien.

Previously julien_lacrambe wrote:

Hello,

I have a Norton 500t from 1951. Almost essentiel parts are here, engine gearbox, petrol tank, wheels, forks...

But some parts are missing: oil tank, exhaust and silencer, mudguards stays, handlebar, speedo bracket, front mumber plate bracket (modified headlamp bracket)...

If someone has few parts for sale or parts to lent for copy or just can help me, you are welcome!!!!!!

my mail is julienlacrambe@yahoo.fr

Regards,

julien.

Hi Julien, you should be able to purchase an exhaust and silencer from Feked.com or Armours Exhaust. HTH.

Good luck with your project.

Regards Darren

Julien,

A word of caution regarding the Armours exhaust pipe for the 500T. This information dates from several years ago now and with Armours under new management I hope the ridiculous situation with this pipe has been resolved.

I ordered a new exhaust and silencer. The silencer was fine but the end of the exhaust had an extra bend so that the silencer did not lie parallel to the line of the bike. The images attached show this quite clearly.

It was impossible to mount the silencer and I questioned Armours about this. They said back then that the design was taken from a machine owned by Art Sirota in the USA. I don't know what Art had done to his 500T to make it that way, but they would not agree they were wrong. I sent the photographs, but still no agreement; they did however give me my money back without further argument. In the end I had to search for somebody to restore and rechrome the original as then there were no alternatives.

So, check carefully the line of the exhaust pipe; the difficult bit is the very close run to the r.h.s. crankcase and footrest. Ironically, Armours got both of those right but messed up the easy part!

Attachments offset_armours.jpg offset_original-jpg

Armours always say that their part fits, that no-one else has ever complained and it must be the purchaser's machine that is 'wrong' (although they never explain what might be out of position between cylinder / head and rear lug).

They still say it about M20 exhausts and they must've sold about 10000 of those by now.

Best bet if purchasing from them is to order unchromed and expect a bit of fettling.

Previously richard_payne wrote:

Armours always say that their part fits, that no-one else has ever complained and it must be the purchaser's machine that is 'wrong' (although they never explain what might be out of position between cylinder / head and rear lug).

They still say it about M20 exhausts and they must've sold about 10000 of those by now.

Best bet if purchasing from them is to order unchromed and expect a bit of fettling.

They said that about Inter pipes too that is until Barry Stickland contacted them with John Hudsons original drawing!!!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans