Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

500T Help please

Forums

Hi I’m new to bikes this old. I have oil pumping into primary chain casing as indicated in attached photo. Is this meant to be happening or do I have an issue .thanks Harvey .it’s a 1953 500T

It’s probably wet sumped, drain the sump and check again ..... if the sump fills up with oil, it will work it’s way out into the primary case.

dan 

Thanks for the reply Dan. Looks like you’re right. I just took a pic (attached ) of outer casing and it says quite clearly “oil bath” but it doesn’t look like it’s going to keep much oil in !crikey this thing is going to be expensive to run.!there is a thick rubber gasket between the two casings.Do you know if you can buy these rubbers new ? Cheers Harvey 

It takes very little oil - fill through the top hole with the inspection cover until it starts running out of the small hole at the bottom with the drain plug/bolt removed. It only takes 150ml or so of SAE20 or better HD primary chain oil. The rubber is easily got, NOC shop, ebay or any of the Norton suppliers. Use with a little silicon sealant, little lip towards the outside of the cover. Don’t overtighten the fixing bolt/nut and make sure edges are not buckled. These primary cases are notorious for leaking, btw…

Harvey,

Most of us drain the main oil tank after the bike has been used. And put the same oil back in before the next ride.

Others install a tap on the oil tank. I don't recommend it unless you have a very good memory. It could be expensive if you forget to turn it on before your ride.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It’s back together now and topped up with oil. Been for a ride around the field on it. . I put a pan underneath a couple of hours ago and I’m amazed at how little is leaking out.! Thanks again for your help. I will probably be back soon with more questions as I work my way through the bike. It has been dry stored since 2006. Cheers Harvey. 

What a great looking bike- and I bet its a real blast round the field! But dont think I'd fancy using that pump on the chainguard to try and blow up one of those knobblies....

... you only need about 4 psi for trials use.........

Agreed, very handsome machine. I like the prop stand.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans