Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

19S 1955 pre-Featherbed centre stand

Forums

Hello all, I have recently bought a beautiful 19s all that is missing is a center stand . Is there anybody out there who can supply or know where I no might get one. I may even be able to make one if I had enough Information. I am a sheet metal worker and given the right info should find it fairly straightforward. Look forward to your views.

Ed.

Im currently restoring a 1957 19S, the centre stand is cast, if you consider photos would be any use I could post some on this site. If you are in the Yorkshire area you are welcome to come to take measurements, the centre stand is not on the bike at the moment. Sorry just read your post again, I suspect you may be from across the water (center)

Hi Ed,

The club had some made but they seen to be out of stock.They (helpfully)also have it listed under the wrong factorypart number.Originals are simply not about; been looking for one for my 55 ES2 for years without any luck.

Some were made by a third party that were cast iron. Avoid these at all costs, they keep breaking as a friend has found out.

Jim

Previously jim_royce wrote:

Hi Ed,

The club had some made but they seen to be out of stock.They (helpfully)also have it listed under the wrong factorypart number.Originals are simply not about; been looking for one for my 55 ES2 for years without any luck.

Some were made by a third party that were cast iron. Avoid these at all costs, they keep breaking as a friend has found out.

Jim

Tanks for the advise Jim. I suppose though even one of the inferior stands might be useful as a template to make a new one if there are any around.

Ed.

Jim,

The Club thought the third party stands wouldn't be up to much once it found out what they were made of.

Have you contacted the Spares team to see if it is doing a rerun of the stands and to assist with correcting the Part No. if this is the case?

Hi Chris,

I've read through a couple of parts lists from the early swingarm frame and it seems Norton were confused too. The error is their doing; they have put the incorrect part number in the single cylinder partslists. I suspect the number should be H4/524 as the single cylinder stands aren't the same as those for thetwin which has a lug on the left leg. Without this the silencer is in the wayof the stand making it very difficult to use. My Model 7 has a stand with this lug on and there is no doubt it's original while the one on my ES2 has no lug.

Jim

My 1956 ES2 has a centre stand without the lug which does indeed hit the bottom of the silencer. I plan to to have a lug welded on over the winter.

Wow great response from members the thread seams to suggest that these stands are almost as rare as diamonds and probably as expensive.

Still this leaves me wondering where I might obtain one. I have tried the spares team and placed an add in the club mag.

The missing part does not stop me using the bike but it would be nice to have.

Ed.

Previously john_hwawden wrote:

Im currently restoring a 1957 19S, the centre stand is cast, if you consider photos would be any use I could post some on this site. If you are in the Yorkshire area you are welcome to come to take measurements, the centre stand is not on the bike at the moment. Sorry just read your post again, I suspect you may be from across the water (center)

Hi John,

I'm still trying to work my way through the in's and out's of using the site

It would be useful if you could post some pictures of the center stand and if you could also show a ruler along side to give an idea of relative sizes, I may be able to make a replacement , think this might be the best way having read the feedback on how rare these things are.

I live in the Altrincham area of Cheshire so push come to shove I could make the trip and look first hand at your stand.

Many thanks for all the replies, to all Norton lovers. LOL.

Yes I too have noted the scarcity of center stands, mine is very worn and I've been keeping an eye out for a replacement.

Can I ask the question the other way around, does anyone know of a prop stand or it's Norton part numbers for my 1949 ES2? My parts book shows no such thing, can anything else be adapted.

I'd like to fit one if only to spare the existing increasingly fragile center stand.

Rob

Previously Paul Knapp wrote:

G'day Edward, are you still after a center stand? I have a raw casting of what I thinkyou want.

Paul

Hi Paul,

How do I get hold of the said casting sounds promising.

I live in the Cheshire area of the UK , you sound like the other side of the world?

OK on that Edward, I am in sunny warm OZ.smiley...42 Deg. C today!

Contact me via the message board and I will send pictures and dimentions ETC. via email.

Paul

Previously robyn_howard-evans wrote:

Yes I too have noted the scarcity of center stands, mine is very worn and I've been keeping an eye out for a replacement.

Can I ask the question the other way around, does anyone know of a prop stand or it's Norton part numbers for my 1949 ES2? My parts book shows no such thing, can anything else be adapted.

I'd like to fit one if only to spare the existing increasingly fragile center stand.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes they are available. I have them on my singles and they mount on the front engine plate (left side naturally). Try mavisgregson on ebay as he does make them. He currently has a centre stand listed.

regards,

Ian

Previously ian_richtsteig wrote

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes they are available. I have them on my singles and they mount on the front engine plate (left side naturally). Try mavisgregson on ebay as he does make them. He currently has a centre stand listed.

regards,

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'll have a look in that direction. Rob.

Previously Paul Knapp wrote:

HI OK on that Edward, I am in sunny warm OZ.smiley...42 Deg. C today!

Contact me via the message board and I will send pictures and dimentions ETC. via email.

Paul

HI Paul sounds lovely weather over there at the mo, have to say its cracking the flags here too........not the sun but frost and damp.

Any way would appreciate pics and sizes if you could to my email

eddie2u4@aol.com many thanks.

Previously Edward Dougherty wrote:

Previously john_hwawden wrote:

Hi John,

I'm still trying to work my way through the in's and out's of using the site

It would be useful if you could post some pictures of the center stand and if you could also show a ruler along side to give an idea of relative sizes, I may be able to make a replacement , think this might be the best way having read the feedback on how rare these things are.

I live in the Altrincham area of Cheshire so push come to shove I could make the trip and look first hand at your stand.

Many thanks for all the replies, to all Norton lovers. LOL.

Hi John,

I wonder if you could send me any photos you may have of the center stand with sizes shown if poss. I've seen a lot of information since posting my request and your stand is looking to be the same as the type fitted to my bike.

My email is eddie2u4@aol.com

Many thanks.

Ed.

I am still looking for that center stand if anybody can help.

I am told the bike is possibly 1956/7 there has been some discussion on this subject and the experts tell me its not a 1955 as the number indicates.Engine No. 62266 Frame No. 6226 V5 indicates 1955.

All I know is the frame is very like a Mod.50 in that it has a single down tube to a cradle to support the engine, on some bikes the cradle looks likecast tubes slightly flattened whereas my cradle is of round tube basically the same shape.

I have an AMC gearbox fitted. looking at other makes of bike such as AJS, Matchless there are lots of similarities I sure one of these stands would fit?

Photos or broken stands would help in manufacturing a new one,anything considered.

My email is eddie2u4@aol.com

Edward, Almost like my 1957 Model 50 engine plates saga.

Now, what I have learned over the years of searching is that the 57-58 Pre F/bed frames were actually Matchless and should have the AMC box. You can tell the difference of the earlier frames because the later Matchless frames were tubular all over but the earlier Norton frames were not tubular on the bottom frame rails.

Also, the pre 57 bikes used the laydowngearbox. I owned a 1955 19Sduring 1974-75.With laydown G/box. So if yours is a 55 with an AMC box then somebodyhas changed the box and plates. (Not many differences between 350cc, 500cc and 600cc in running gear)

Another difference between the pre 57 and 57/58 is that the bracket used to fix the rear mudguard that sits above the swinging arm pivot point is only fixed on the left hand side on the 57/58 but fixed on both sides on the pre 57.

I bought a new powder coated centre stand for my 57 Model 50 frame a couple of years ago from club spares. I just let them know the year but I couldn't tell you if it fits the earlier frames. I can't even tell you if it fits my frame yet for that matter due to no engine plates. (AMC box)

I have a Dommie 99 to finish in the next month and then a 650 engine to fix, after that I'll try and make some engine plates, failing that the whole lot will be for sale, almost a complete bike less rear mudguard and engine plates, of course.

I'm surprised the club had stands made for my 57 Model 50 because I don't find the pre F/beds well supported at all, such a shame. Commando / Dommie, no issue putting one on the road, even if everything isn't original. Even the lightweight twins have a much improved spares situation, as it should be. I just hope that stand fits!

Hope this helps...

Previously neil_wyatt wrote:

Edward, Almost like my 1957 Model 50 engine plates saga.

Now, what I have learned over the years of searching is that the 57-58 Pre F/bed frames were actually Matchless and should have the AMC box. You can tell the difference of the earlier frames because the later Matchless frames were tubular all over but the earlier Norton frames were not tubular on the bottom frame rails.

Also, the pre 57 bikes used the laydowngearbox. I owned a 1955 19Sduring 1974-75.With laydown G/box. So if yours is a 55 with an AMC box then somebodyhas changed the box and plates. (Not many differences between 350cc, 500cc and 600cc in running gear)

Another difference between the pre 57 and 57/58 is that the bracket used to fix the rear mudguard that sits above the swinging arm pivot point is only fixed on the left hand side on the 57/58 but fixed on both sides on the pre 57.

I bought a new powder coated centre stand for my 57 Model 50 frame a couple of years ago from club spares. I just let them know the year but I couldn't tell you if it fits the earlier frames. I can't even tell you if it fits my frame yet for that matter due to no engine plates. (AMC box)

I have a Dommie 99 to finish in the next month and then a 650 engine to fix, after that I'll try and make some engine plates, failing that the whole lot will be for sale, almost a complete bike less rear mudguard and engine plates, of course.

I'm surprised the club had stands made for my 57 Model 50 because I don't find the pre F/beds well supported at all, such a shame. Commando / Dommie, no issue putting one on the road, even if everything isn't original. Even the lightweight twins have a much improved spares situation, as it should be. I just hope that stand fits!

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the speedy reply Neil, every bit of info i get takes me a step further, there are so many twists and turns.

Would it be an idea to look on the Machless owners site for a center stand, all i can really go off is a grainy photo of a stand i've got.

You would think with the number of bikes produced and the present number of people who own and ride them, surely somebody will know for sure and have sizes, photos or even a stand that could be bought.

This bike is proving to be more rare than much ealier machines, yes I think you are right the NOC deos not support these models in the same way as the big twins, and yet these machines were for many years the heart and sole of the Norton empire,are we being let down a little?

Ed.

Hi Edward,

First of all, if your frame is tubular on the bottom rails then it will be a pre F/bed Matchless frame. (57/58) If they are angled it is pre 57. I bought my new centre stand from club spares on the understanding that this was the correct item. If they have any left you could ask club spares, they had a batch made. No point in copying mine as it might be wrong, although there is no reason why the pre 57 can't be the same....I don't know.

Another place where the badge engineering came in literally was the chrome side panels on the tank. I assume the tank is the same except the holes for the badges in the tank and the chrome panels were in different places, different sized badges, otherwise the same.

I made my point about lack of pre F/bed spares to club spares and others at the York AGM and that was quite a few years ago. The spares team do an excellent job but on pre F/bed singles, it's not good but nothing looks like changing anytime soon, that's the sad part.

It would help if the club asked for original unobtainable parts for loan so they can be copied. I have had no luck with this so maybe the club would do better. I have the drawings for engine plates and if I do make them I will make two sets and only when I know that I have the perfect fit, I will donate them to the club so they have a pattern that is good. I have already given them the drawings.

Although these are singles, much of the running gear inc frame etc are the same as the Model 7 and 77. I spoke to Dale Middlehurst about pre F/bed frames and his view was that as the years went by, towards the wideline introduction he regarded the pre F/bed as a 'lashup.'

Good luck.

Happy Christmas every body and a happy new year.

I'm now convinced what I have is a 1957 Norton 19s in a Matchless Frame that is to say it is a Norton made up from off the shelf parts that were available at the time. All parts ie. AMC gearbox, frame and probably lots of other parts that could have been used on many different bikes.

So all that said I've manage to fabricate a center stand of sorts which looks like it could work. My question now is : What bolts were used to fix the stand to the frame, I'm thinking they are 3/8" BSF but I have a couple of these bolts and they do seem to be sloppy in the tapped lug.

Does anyone know the exact type of bolt, thread , length etc. and are they shoulder bolts with a securing nut on the inside.

I could drill out lug and fit any suitable bolt as I would with any piece of machinery but if the correct bolt can be found then this would be the preferred method.

Thanks for every reply without this sort of information I think the world would simply stop turning, keep up the good work.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans