Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1975 Mk3 Interstate

Forums

I'm looking at purchasing a 1975 Mk3 interstate, being a new-be (this would be my first Norton and classic) what should I be looking out for?

Any help and advise  would be greatly appreciated 

Hi Frank,

We are all rooting for you.. Buying a Mk3 will be regarded by many of us as the best thing any human being could do!

Whatever you get it will need some work, minor or major depends on what work has been done in the last ten years.

If you want to post a photograph on here, with the seller's description, and the price, then several of us will give you a view.

Best advice is to use your intuition on whether you like the seller and trust him (her).

Articles have been published in the past (Classic Bike?) regarding buying a Mk3 and they amount to a few thousand words of advice and thoughts.

Hi Frank,

2 weeks ago, I bought a 1975 Mk3 Interstate that had been laid up for more than 5 years, although the owner told me he had started it occasionally. I got it home and put the old battery on charge not expecting any luck, but managed to get 10 amps in it. fuel in and oil checked, it started after 4 kicks.

Of course I will be draining the oil and fitting a new filter etc. before I take it out on the road.

But, if you are lucky you could hit on a good one as I have. 

Others will tell you the more salient points to look out for, but I say go for it, and enjoy the world of Nortons. I left it 44 years ago to move onto Harley-Davidsons and although I will be keeping my Harley, it will feel nice to get back onto narrow tyres again!

Very much the marmite bike of the Commando variants, some like me like them, many don't. Some find they seem to sit higher, not that much in it, are heavier - yes they are. But depending on your height, in standard trim you may find it comfortable or not, many fit rearsets.

They tend to fall into 3 camps of need, considering the factory at the time was in administration, anything near original will be suspect build quality, anything in current regular use by the previous owner should be OK, anything stood since the 80's may well have been bodged or neglected back then.

With patience and advice, you'll have a fine reliable mile muncher. 

Hello Frank

I agree with all the others comments but do a bit of background checking on any prospective bike.

All the Mk3's ive worked on have had the soft camshaft issue that Mk3's are prone to suffer from. A test ride is not forced to show this up. Taking off the rocker covers and comparing valve lift when rotating the engine is a sure fire method to spot this. Avoid any bike that has had a PW3 or any other performance cam fitted. Or use it talk the price down. Original twin amals  will be worn out, unless its done very few miles in the last 45 years.

If you are not confident with doing your own engine work (say you buy a machine that needs a new cam) Budget for between £1200 to £2500 for someone to fit a new cam. 

The rewards when you finally get a smooth running reliable bike are huge.

Easily capable of taking you around Europe and a guaranteed head turner/ talking point when ever you stop

regards

Peter     

Frank

Where do you live, probably better to meet another member and talk through a bike!

mike

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans