Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1975 Mk3 advice pls

Forums

Just got hold of one of the above bike's for a rebuild project. I am more used to rebuilding BSA Rocket 3's and Triumph Tridents so a Norton is new to me. I will be posting questions on here regularly I would imagine as the project develops to completion. To start with three questions I have are:

• What was the standard handlebar for this bike, European or Semi Western
  • Is it ok to re-use the original Isolastic mountings (06- 6125, 06-6126) removed from the bike. Whilst I appreciate they are 40+ years old they do look in fantastic condition. I thought I read somewhere that it was preferable to re-use these as the new ones are not as good?
  • I have bookmarked a number of well known UK parts suppliers. Compared to BSA/Triumph Triple suppliers Norton parts seem to vary quite a lot in price. In one instance the price of main bearings varied by £20+ vat per bearing when I looked at two very reputable suppliers. Another comparison of the two was a saving of over £50 on a rear sprocket; the list goes on. I understand that everyone will probably have their 'go to' supplier (mine was LP Williams for the triple parts) what's the general view with regards to price and quality. My email address is player5442@gmail.com

regards Mike

• What was the standard handlebar for this bike, European or Semi Western

Euro for UK and Europe, Semi Western for US

• Is it ok to re-use the original Isolastic mountings (06- 6125, 06-6126) removed from the bike. Whilst I appreciate they are 40+ years old they do look in fantastic condition. I thought I read somewhere that it was preferable to re-use these as the new ones are not as good?

Good old ones are better than new new ones which seem too hard depeding who you get them off.

On the prices check who includes VAT in their prices, I use RGM and Andover Norton, I never go to Staffordshire.

Mike,

There are actually 4 'bars available for the Mk3, the most ridiculous being the High Rider, but apart from them as John says, the semi-western and Two European types. The UK ones are really quite flat and narrow and seen in many brochure photos, but the other euro ones are a bit higher and wider, and if you arelong in the leg and back dept.like me, then they may suit better. I may have a part number , but right now its freezing in my shed !

Cheers

Ditto for parts. Genuine NORTON only.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans