Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1975 and black plates?

My Mk2a Commando has a 1975 registration and has now qualified for free road tax. As the V5 now states "historic vehicle" my understanding is that i can now legally use a black and silver number plate on the road. Is this correct as many websites for companies making these plates state for pre 1973 for road use. Is it just that they have not bothered to change their website as you would think they would in order not to lose customers. .

"Traditional" black and silver plates areONLY legal on vehicles that pre date 1973. If you get caught with an illegal plate the first time it's a £100 fine the second it's £1000 and the DVLA *might* take the plate off you and force you onto a 'Q' plate which insurers don't like.

Your decision!

The Gov. Uk website and i have read similar accounts that once classified as historic vehicle black plates are allowed due to a loop hole in the wording when the rolling age limit on road tax was reintroduced.

It's rolling again now, I legally put an M plate on a Trident once I got it registered as Historic. I think we are now up to 1975.

Ah, the link above explains.

Any vehicle registered as 'historic ' is alowed to use black number plates. But it MUST be registered with DVLA as an historic vehicle.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans