Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1972 Commando Tyres confusion

Forums

Hi everyone,

So I've finally been delivered by 1972 Combat.

The bike hasn't been on the road for some time, but it starts ok.

Tho having some problems and confusion with tyre sizes.

The bike current has 2 different tyre brands.

Front: 3.50 19

Rear: 4.00 19

Now this is where the confusion starts - I've read in here that people are running 100/90-19 front and rear, and the other option is front 90/90-19, rear 100/90-19.

If my current sizes are 3.50 19, this would make it a 90/90-19? Or am i safe to say i can also run front/rear 100/90-19 Avon Roadrider AM26?

I tried looking at the rim sizes... The rims are in good shape and chrome is ok, but seems the indent prints are basically rubbed out...

The other confusion is if front fender stay is same width for Roadster and Interstate?

The bike came with a bit of history, and it seems the previous owner changed the tank a while a go, and the bike might have started as a Roadster...

Feel free to give me your thoughts.

Thanks everyone.

Rich.

I've read in here that people are running 100/90-19 front and rear, and the other option is front 90/90-19, rear 100/90-19.

Both are valid, the 90/90 front will give quicker steering. I use Avon Roadriders and cannot praise them enough and I use the 90/90 on the front. Std rims will be WM2-19 front and rear.

Fender stays are the same for all versions except the Interpol with the valanced front guard.

Hi John,

Thanks for the info.

I just went down to check , the fronts writing is so worn that it only says W........9.

The rear is clear - CMT WM2 1.85X19 0709

When i say clear, i meant as clearly as i can read it, it was a bit dark and i was reading it up side down.

I might try the 90/90 front first and see how it's like.

Yes, Norton's parts list quotes WM2-19 rims for front and rear.

Early ones were shipped with 3.50 tyres, but by 1973 they were quoting 4.10 front and rear.

I also recommend AM26 Road Riders. Hugely better than any I previously tried. I have 100/90 front and rear.

Thanks for the reply.

So mine would have been shipped with 3.50 tyres, as it is on there now.

Previously stephen_westlake wrote:

Yes, Norton's parts list quotes WM2-19 rims for front and rear.

Early ones were shipped with 3.50 tyres, but by 1973 they were quoting 4.10 front and rear.

I also recommend AM26 Road Riders. Hugely better than any I previously tried. I have 100/90 front and rear.

As John Holmes points out, a smaller section front will give quicker steering. But if you want a full classic bike experience you should definitely try TT100s at least once ...

I tried TT100's, now I know tyre choice can be subjective but following white lines is not an experience I want to repeat.

I have read the reviews on the TT100s, and the white line thing keeps popping up. I like authentic, but i don't like authenticllyâ dangerous!

I ride city and back roads, I originally prefer the Bridge stone BT45s, but they don't do it in a 19 rear. So from reviews, Avon Roadrider seems like a good option. It's ordered and new shoes should be on next week.

Then with a bit of luck, maybe the bike will pass TÃV without much work, then i can really start working on the bike.

Previously richard_chan wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

So mine would have been shipped with 3.50 tyres, as it is on there now.

It would have had 4.10 x 19 TT100's fitted front & rear when new. Equivalent to a normal 3.50 x 19.The Avons are much better in my opinion and I prefer the narrower front tyre.

I did say "once" ;)

More seriously, the reason why I switched to Roadrunners was that I was wearing out the centres of the tyres much faster than their flanks; this was decades ago, and I haven't got any faster since.

Previously richard_chan wrote:

I have read the reviews on the TT100s, and the white line thing keeps popping up. I like authentic, but i don't like authenticllyâ dangerous!

I ride city and back roads, I originally prefer the Bridge stone BT45s, but they don't do it in a 19 rear. So from reviews, Avon Roadrider seems like a good option. It's ordered and new shoes should be on next week.

Then with a bit of luck, maybe the bike will pass TÃV without much work, then i can really start working on the bike.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans