Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1970 Mercury

Forums

Hi,

I have a 1970 Mercury that was left to me by my Dad, which sadly I am now going to have to sell, and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what a reasonable value would be - I have no idea! I did get it running last year but it does need some TLC.

Any constructive advice would be welcome.

Regards

Alex

Impossible to say without a close-up look. Some pictures would help, but even so, a close inspection would really be needed. Having said that, the Mercury is pretty iconic, the last and arguably the best of the 650s. If it is pretty standard in good clean nick, running and nothing obviously amiss, I would think £6000 to £8000.Rather less if it's non-standard and needing tlc.It of course depends on what someone is willing to pay.

Previously alexandra_priest wrote:

Hi,

I have a 1970 Mercury that was left to me by my Dad, which sadly I am now going to have to sell, and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what a reasonable value would be - I have no idea! I did get it running last year but it does need some TLC.

Regards

Alex

It would be worth looking at the prices that are being asked on ebay for similar machines. From what I know of the Dominator/Mercury range, these would be the last of the 650 Norton twins made and as such very collectable. Depending on condition you could be looking at a value of up to £8,000. You may have to wait and see what interest there is but don't rush to sell to the first chancer. Contact your nearest branch secretary for some assistance.

I have seen two (only 2!) for sale here in Canada over the past 5 years. So they're hen's teeth here. One was Novil built and looked extremely nice, asking $10K Cdn, the other not Norvil built and looked ... OK, asking $5.5K Cdn. I'm not sure the second one sold, the first did.

That sounds under their value here. $10k Cdn = £5700, likewise $5.5= £3135; I am sure you will get more than that Alex! The price will be very condition dependent, and needing tlc could mean anything. Having said that, I have seem bampots pay mad money for basket cases of various makes and models at auction, when perfectly good examples can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

Post some quality pictures up, with a description, and what needs doing (tlc.... where have I heard that before?!), to give a better crack at a valuation.

Some say it is iconic, others a parts-bin special, as the Commandos were already out by then, and Dommie parts stock needed to be used up. A nice bike, none the less, although I would give the 650SS an 'iconic' status, before the Mercury, but that is just my view.

As Gordon said, it depends on who wants it, and how badly.

Ian

Hi Gordon,

Happy New Year and many thanks for replying to my query - you were very helpful.

Thanks again,

Alex

Previously Gordon Johnston wrote:

Impossible to say without a close-up look. Some pictures would help, but even so, a close inspection would really be needed. Having said that, the Mercury is pretty iconic, the last and arguably the best of the 650s. If it is pretty standard in good clean nick, running and nothing obviously amiss, I would think £6000 to £8000.Rather less if it's non-standard and needing tlc.It of course depends on what someone is willing to pay.

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your response and advice. It is much appreciated and apologies for taking so long to get back to you to thank you.

Kind regards

Alex

Previously ian_cordes wrote:

That sounds under their value here. $10k Cdn = £5700, likewise $5.5= £3135; I am sure you will get more than that Alex! The price will be very condition dependent, and needing tlc could mean anything. Having said that, I have seem bampots pay mad money for basket cases of various makes and models at auction, when perfectly good examples can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

Post some quality pictures up, with a description, and what needs doing (tlc.... where have I heard that before?!), to give a better crack at a valuation.

Some say it is iconic, others a parts-bin special, as the Commandos were already out by then, and Dommie parts stock needed to be used up. A nice bike, none the less, although I would give the 650SS an 'iconic' status, before the Mercury, but that is just my view.

As Gordon said, it depends on who wants it, and how badly.

Ian

Hi David,

Many thanks for your helpful advice to my query. Apologies for taking so long to thank you, but it has been very helpful.

Kind regards

Alex

Previously david_evans wrote:

Previously alexandra_priest wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Alex

It would be worth looking at the prices that are being asked on ebay for similar machines. From what I know of the Dominator/Mercury range, these would be the last of the 650 Norton twins made and as such very collectable. Depending on condition you could be looking at a value of up to £8,000. You may have to wait and see what interest there is but don't rush to sell to the first chancer. Contact your nearest branch secretary for some assistance.

Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for your advice on my query. It was most helpful.

Kind regards

Alex

Previously Bruce Mitchell wrote:

I have seen two (only 2!) for sale here in Canada over the past 5 years. So they're hen's teeth here. One was Novil built and looked extremely nice, asking $10K Cdn, the other not Norvil built and looked ... OK, asking $5.5K Cdn. I'm not sure the second one sold, the first did.

The Mercury is one of those Nortons that received negative press views from day1. Many referred to it as a 'spare bin parts' bike which is totally unfair as most of the components were not unsaleable surplus parts that the Factory had stored. The 650SS had only been out of production for just a year so all the engine parts and tinware would have been in demand as replacement bits. And they still are!!!

The late John Hudson owned a Mercury and actually preferred it to a Commando due to the simplicity of running and maintaining the bike. No fiddly Isolastics to adjust each year. Which for those not in the know requires all of the primary drive components (and tools to do so) to be removed in order to adjust. Plus a single carb.

What annoyed most people, at the time, was the price of the bike went up but the specification, compared to the previous 650SS went down. And to bring the bike up to 650SS spec, by buying another carb, Chrome or Stainless mudguards, rev counter head and drivebox, brought the total price up to that of a new Commando. Perhaps a deliberate sales ploy.

John pointed out that a considerable amount of the bike, below the steering head, was actually first generation Commando. A fact that many people do not appreciate. The cylinder head, crankcases, camshaft, gearbox, wheels, silencers and much of the electrics are all Commando adaptations. If you opted for the Stainless mudguards and Twin Front Brake you had a couple of more Commando chunks.

The only obvious differences, apart from stying, being the primary drive, tank, clocks, single carb and frame. Apparently the frame is the Achiles Heal with some people quoting it as being constructed from steel that was not up to the job and hence being prone to damage all to easily. The value of the Norton Mercury is hard to judge without a first hand look. One sold for £6,500, in the UK, just before Christmas. From the photo it looked original and possibly good value for money.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans