Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1964 650ss

Forums

When the wider yoke was introduced on the 1964 650SS, did the clocks also gain the twin mount at the same time? Or did the speedo stay in the headlamp and a remote tacho still stay for a while as per earlier models?

Or was it not until 1967 that they gained the twin bracket as suggested by Steve Wilsons book?

Paul

No your suspicions are correct Paul. For quite a while the headlamp with the speedometer was kept but with a magnetic instrument. The tachometer remained as an extra fitted on a plate made specifically for the magnetic version.  My later 1967 bike eventually got the twin-clock plate with the lighting switch between the clocks and the shallow headlamp as per the Atlas.  Some export bikes may have had this change earlier of course.  Regards, Howard

So my 63 SS with the  late type magnetic clocks in seperate holders and a chrome Atlas headlamp is all wrong ! Would be nice to swap these clocks  and shell for chronos with a speedo in the headlamp . I have a spare correct early  shell if anyone  has clocks to swap ! .  Not much chance i think.

Sounds like i will have a set of functioning magnetic clocks, a couple of  single clock  holders  and drive cables going spare. Nice if I could swap for a proper chrono 150 speedo. Then all i need to find would be an ATRC   2 to1 rev counter. and its rubber holder .

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans