Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 Model 50 coil position

Forums

Hi, first post since joining so here goes. Can anyone tell me where the coil is attached on a 1962 slimline model 50 please, thanks   David

is across the fame in front of the battery box. HT cable left side.

Well that's where it is on mine...

Cheers

Attachments

So do I.     David, welcome to the club.

You should have a small bracket welded to the frame enabling the coil to be mounted as per Michael's excellent photograph , at least my slimline M50 has.

Regards John O

Same as Jon on my slimline. 626 carb as well.

Sorry to be a pain but I've looked up the clip part # 21014 clip that holds the coil to the bracket and was wondering if anyone could post a photo of this clip please. I've searched various sites but to no avail, cheers   David

The original coil should have been the large one. MA6-12 52mm.

But if the later smaller one 17M12-6 40mm is fitted I can supply a 'standard' coil clamp but you would have to furnish a straight bracket to take this to the frame lug.

Can anybody post a picture of the bracket on the frame cross tube?

My 1961 M50 has never had this, at least it didn't when I first bought the frame in 1986, so I fabricated my own clip to mount the coil on the n/s frame tube to keep the HT lead as short as possible and put the coil in a good airstream, but I always thought that the original set-up used the tank strap bracket in the middle, what did the original  lug look like?, I'm curious.

Thanks.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans