Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1961 ES2 concentric setup

Forums

Hi all,

I know my 61 ES2 would have originally had a 376/17 monobloc however the previous owner has it setup with a mk1 concentric

As it stands currently, the float bowl is warped, the float has sunken (it is 3/4 full of fuel), it has an old plastic Needle valve, and the tickover leaves a lot to be desired.

So I can either use this as an opportunity to revert to a monobloc, or overhaul the concentric.

What are your experiences of concentrics? And what is the optimal needle/jet combo in your opinions?

Thanks so much for any help and advice in advance!

I prefer a monobloc for two reasons. Fisdtly it looks right (not important). Secondly, I have always found it to be a more economical carb (important). The monobloc always gives better mpg in my experience. Having said that, a well set up concentric will always be better than a worn out badly set up monobloc. For either carb, make sure your needle jet is a new genuine Amal item. Worn or pattern needle jets wreck carburation.

This is great feedback Gordon, and economy is not something I had considered.

I am lucky, as I live in Dorset, so can easily pop over to Amal for spares.

Cheers!

Hi Grant,

By coincidence I`ve just replaced my old monobloc on a 1955 ES2engine with a Mk1 concentric(26 mm), as I`m about to go on a trip to Eire so this is a trialwith this carb,and I`ve not had time to sort outjetting ,I`lllet you know how the bike performs when I return in a weeks time.Or may-be you might have it sorted by then.These are the settings I`m using, (slide:num-3,/needle-jet-106,/main-jet-240,/no pilot-jet/needle-position3rd-slot.)

Cheers ,Alan H.

I await your feedback Alan - it will be interesting to hear how you get on!

More importantly though, enjoy your tour of the Emerald Isle!

Incidentally, the rule of thumb for main jet setting is 12 to 15% smaller on the concentric than the monobloc. So for an ES2, the monoblock main jet should be a 270 and you would expect a concentric main jet to be a 230 or thereabouts. Though I would go with Alan's 240 at least to start with. Have fun in Ireland Alan - a great place to tour on an old bike.

Hi Grant,

My trip to the Emerald Isle went really well,I was on the Munster clubs 46th rally in the company of some truely great folk,riding a plethora of interesting machines.Check out the event on this

Anyhow the carburation seems okish,a little rich on the slide maybe,I`m going to try out a 3,1/2

and I`ll go with Gordon on the main jet 230 or 220 is my next try.

Cheers, Alan H.

Hi Alan,

Following your recommendation plus advice from Gordon, I went for a 230/106 setup, and I can confirm the bike is running like a dream and idling smoothly.

Thanks bothfor the excellent information - the power of the community does it again!

Grant

Previously wrote:

Hi Alan,

Following your recommendation plus advice from Gordon, I went for a 230/106 setup, and I can confirm the bike is running like a dream and idling smoothly.

Thanks bothfor the excellent information - the power of the community does it again!

Grant

Hi Grant,

Glad to hear you`ve got it sorted.

Cheers,

A.H.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans