Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1960 99 Dominator PRS8 switch plate question

Forums

Hi,

my bike has the shell with the ammeter, medallion and PRS8 switch, I don't know what this particular shell is called The switch base plate is missing causing the switch to be a little wobbly. Can anyone tell me the part number for the correct plate? Tried searching the net but it seems different switches, different shells,different plate etc etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Paul.

There are a number of switch plates that look similar and its a bit unlikely that you can just order one. I went to several jumbles and bought two wrong ones before I found one that looks ok. The hole has to match the profile of the plastic switch stem and be a close fit. The overall diameter is such that not much can be seen around the knob. Take the switch with you to check the fit. Be VERY carefull not to cross thread the securing nut or overtighten and strip the plastic thread.

My best guess is as follows:

(note: there is no illustration of this part)

pn: 318323 Switch lever grommet

If I am wrong I am sure that someone will correct me.

Mike

You will need the rubber grommet to keep the water out of the switch. I think the plate is called a bezel. I have not seen one on a suppliers list so you will need to plod round the jumbles. Not essential to fit one ,unless you are an orriginality freak (like I was) !.

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I don't normally care too much about originality except this one is much closer to it than I normally have. Thanks again. Paul.

The little rubber grommet which keeps the water out of the switch is available from.... TMS Nottingham. Go to their main directory, select Triumph pre unit 650, then look under electrical. It is hidden there. Thisshopis the only one I have foundwho sells them. I have seen the switch plates in various styles, but cant remember where, but they would have been in pre unit Triumph on line shops.

Robert:

OK, I understand, I think.

The grommett that I referenced is the rubber piece in the switch lever that the key sticks into.

The question remains as: what is the part number of the chrome part that is under the bakelite switch lever and against the headlamp shell?

Just trying to help Paul

Mike

I think its likely to have orriginaly come with the switch, the new repro ones don't come with the chrome bezel. From memory the triumph ones are bigger diameter.Norton parts list of the time do not list the switch bezel.

The rubber 'grommet' that the key passes through, and if it is in good order will help retain the key, actually sits over a tin plate that grips the top of the shaft and if is in good order will retain the right key. If on the other hand a wrong key (or screwdriver ) has been used then this tin 'retainer' will not hold the key in or hold the rubber grommet in place. New parts in this are advised.There is a also a thin rubber disc on top of the the switch beneath the headlamp shell, another part that goes missing. You can't use a cut up piece of inner tube-too thick. Considering the age of these switches they do remarkable well.

Hi Alan, I don't think my 99 has the rubber insulator twixt switch and shell , we used to bed the switch in the shell with a layer of bath mastic if the thread was weak. I will be changing the shell and HL brackets soon so I will make the insulator from thin cycle tube rubber. The battered shell and brackets were a temporary thing about 30 years ago!!.How time flies.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans