Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 Model 99 tracing original dealer

Forums

Afternoon all, Not sure if this is possible but before registering a 'trace' on the original factory records through the Club does anyone know if it is possible to trace the dealer to whom my bike was dispatched in 1959 from those records. There are two chances as the engine and frame number don't match but thought it would be an idea to get an original dealer transfer from an appropriate source (e.g. Dealer Decals) to complete the bike. I did this with my 57 royal enfield and the factor records gave this information. As the bike is in South Wales if not may consider a substitute in a Ray Cowles transfer as spent hours there in Pontypool when younger. Cheers all and thanks for any help. Hugh

If you have the orriginal brown logbook check who is down as the first owner,Dealers sometimes entered their details .

Yse, the original factory records incude dealer, date and , I seem to remember , the identity of the first customer. If you contact the archivist of the local authority of original registration, they may be able to supply a photocopy of the original registration hich will include dealers identity.

Brilliant. Thanks very much. The first purchaser would be of interest as with my Enfield from original green log book traced a number of owners to build history including evidence of someone who won the George Medal in Aden. Its obviously a matter of luck though. Cheers, Hugh

As I have mentioned in another post today, I think that dealers had to register new bikes in the 1960s, so they appeared as the first owner. Mine was Taylor Matterson and I am trying to find out whether they ever had their dealer decal.

As far as I know, factory records of exported bikes only mention the agent they where sent to, sometimes same as the dealer. No mention of first owner.

With DVLA and earlier registrations it is the frame number which is the all-important one. On a car it's the chassis number, but with both you are supposed to tell them of an engine change. If you have a logbook for the frame number then that is the accepted year for the vehicle, no matter what the engine number or capacity is. This is most important for getting age-related registrations. Even without a logbook (most likely scenario) you can get an age-related reg as long as the frame number can be read and identified by a recognised authority. E.g. Norton Owner's Club.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans