Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 ES2 head gasket

Forums

My 1959 ES2 has had a slight blow between the drive side head studs and cylinder, the puff of gas exiting between the 1st and 2nd barrel fins. The long sleeve head nuts will not pass through the new aluminium gasket without forcing. Should I ease the holes or is a tight force fit intended. The old gasket was distorted where the sleeve nut has been forced through and appears to have contibuted to the blow. Would a bead of RTV help or hinder? Thanks in advance. Colin.

Thanks for responses, it is obviously a common occurence, I will try the route of minimal lapping joint to eliminate high spots etc, easing stud holes and just a smear of sealant at suspect points on gasket. Strange though about that initial puff of gas that then disappears,logic says it should continue. Regards Colin

Previously colin_hornby wrote:

My 1959 ES2 has had a slight blow between the drive side head studs and cylinder, the puff of gas exiting between the 1st and 2nd barrel fins. The long sleeve head nuts will not pass through the new aluminium gasket without forcing. Should I ease the holes or is a tight force fit intended. The old gasket was distorted where the sleeve nut has been forced through and appears to have contibuted to the blow. Would a bead of RTV help or hinder? Thanks in advance. Colin.

Dear Colin,

I have exactly the same problem with my '60 ES2 but it disappears within 30sec of start-up. It has been like this for over 1000 miles now so I have learned to ignore it. The next time I have the head off I shall again the renew the gasket but ensure the studs pass easily through the holes so there is no chance of them "lipping over" the gasket.

I wish there was a copper gasket available - the aluminium one seems a bit thin and incompressible. I bet Mike Pemberton knows the true answer.

Regards,

Peter Bolton

I have had similar problems with my ES2 52 and 55 iron heads, i found a thicker and better quality gasket from RGM still alloy, and it had to be tuned to fit snugly, ie around the bore step and stud clearance, why not copper as on the twins, i do not know, i hope this helps..

Hi,I have owned a 1955 19s for 30years and I also had problems with the gasket,but since I dropped the gasket and grinded the head and cylinder with some valve pasta to each other by handI dropped the gasket and the problem was solved. Regards from Svein.

colin....i had the same problem [ironhead es2] at the time not knowing what best to do...after taking lots of advise. i grind the head and barrell together and assemble using wellseal.its been ok so far.

Thanks for responses, it is obviously a common occurence, I will try the route of minimal lapping joint to eliminate high spots etc, easing stud holes and just a smear of sealant at suspect points on gasket. Strange though about that initial puff of gas that then disappears,logic says it should continue. Regards Colin

I made a head gasket out of thin sheet copper (0.020") for my 19S and I made the exhaust gasket out of 1/8" soft copper tubing, available at a plumbing supply shop. I haven't had to fool with either of them since.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans